in OMADA SDN, how can I fix the uplink/downlink ports on the switches?

Thursday - last edited Yesterday
Hardware Version: V4
Firmware Version:

This is my network setup: 

interenet -> opnsense_firewall (192.168.0.1) -> office_switch_192.168.05 -> office24_switch_192.168.0.2.

2 questions:

Logically speaking: office should be the uplink of office24 switch since the defaultgateway is connected to office. yet in OMADA SDN the uplink is reversed.

1. I can't seem to find a way to fix the uplink/downlink flag on the ports in the OMADA SDN console, is there a way?
  2. Which heuristic does OMADA SDN follow to identify uplink vs downlink switches?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:in OMADA SDN, how can I fix the uplink/downlink ports on the switches?-Solution
Friday - last edited Yesterday

Hi @ffsb 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. No.

2. If you are not using the Omada solution products in the uplink/downlink(varies on different subjects), you may not get the correct display sometimes. For some links and identifications, we use proprietary protocols.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:in OMADA SDN, how can I fix the uplink/downlink ports on the switches?-Solution
Friday - last edited Yesterday

Hi @ffsb 

1. No.

2. If you are not using the Omada solution products in the uplink/downlink(varies on different subjects), you may not get the correct display sometimes. For some links and identifications, we use proprietary protocols.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:in OMADA SDN, how can I fix the uplink/downlink ports on the switches?
Friday - last edited Friday

@Clive_A 

thanks for getting back to me but...

1)  why preventing admins to fix manually the link mappings since it can gets faulty?

2)  What "proprietary" protocols are you referreing to? This is basic IP protocol, your uplink switch is the one the closest to your default gateway, isn't it?

Options
Friday

Hi @ffsb 

ffsb wrote

@Clive_A 

thanks for getting back to me but...

1)  why preventing admins to fix manually the link mappings since it can gets faulty?

2)  What "proprietary" protocols are you referreing to? This is basic IP protocol, your uplink switch is the one the closest to your default gateway, isn't it?

1. It is a switch with all the ports available as either the uplink or downlink. This is not designed with a dedicated uplink. What reason do you seek?

2. The recognition of the uplink and display it correctly as the uplink in both the map and the diagram, or the switch port.

Options
Friday - last edited Friday

@Clive_A 

1.  In our case, the reasons why identifying the uplink is rather important:
    1. We select which switch to connect servers to based on their expected bandwidth utilization and peers proximity to avoid overloading leaf nodes or uplink switches.
    2. At some point in time we expect to have mix different capacity switches based on bandwidth consumption which requires to calculate agregates on uplink nodes.
    3. During maintenance operations, misidentifying the uplink switch leads to not notifying all the applications owners of the whole subnet of a planned downtime (this is actually the embarrassing way we found out about this omada SDN flaw).
  2. "The recognition of the uplink and display it correctly as the uplink in both the map and the diagram, or the switch port." This doesn't answer my question: 
    "which protocol are you referring to specifically (as in RFC12345x) , given the fact that an uplink is defined by the physical hops connectivity to the default gateway which based on basic OSI layer 2 and 3 models"

Options
Yesterday

Hi  @ffsb 

1. To "fix" the Uplink/Downlink port, you can simple give the uplink/downlink port with profile ALL, and all other ports with their own VLAN profile. So next time you can check if it is a uplink/downlink port via the profile name. 

2. Currently the Omada Controller won't show more details. I think you can start a feature request on Requests & Suggestions

It won't help no matter we know or not know the protocol. 

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Yesterday

Hi  @ffsb 

As explained by FAE, you can send a request.

This does not gonna be a perfect solution but makes sense in your scenario.

We don't have such a feature yet and no plans for this as well.

Recommend you write the request with your scenario and requested feature.

Please also note if you can write a vendor that supports this on their product lines of the switch, that'd be super helpful.

Options
Yesterday

@ffsb 

• I would see it more as a "bug" since it is about fixing an already existing feature than a suggestion. but fair enough I will re-post it accordingly.
  • in terms of "example of other vendor supporting it", well what about tplink omada? it supports it apparently when the gateway router is omada-able
  • finally, one of our network engineer pointed out that interestingly, when we enable RSTP the proper secondary ports (through another access switch) are disabled (even though they are wrongly labelled as uplink)... which is interesting :-)  

Options
15 hours ago

Hi  @ffsb 

About how the controller "detect" the uplink/downlink port:

Basically the controller just find one Omada device as the root. Then follow this "root" deivce, all other things connected to this "root" are considered as "downlink". 

If there is Omada Router in the network, the controller will always use the Router as the root;

But if there is no Omada router, the controller may choose one of the switches randomly. That's why it could not be correct like Clive said before.

The solution is simple:

1. Try link up the core switch first and adopt it to the controller, then link up other switches;

2. Add an Omada router to the network

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
14 hours ago

@Fae 

? unlinking switches to re-add them or replacing our routers with omada ? are simple solutions? 

What about fixing the SDN software to setup properly the root switch as the one connected to the default gateway regardless of the brand/model?

Options
12 hours ago

Hi  @ffsb 

That is in plan but will not be very soon. 

ffsb wrote

@Fae 

? unlinking switches to re-add them or replacing our routers with omada ? are simple solutions? 

What about fixing the SDN software to setup properly the root switch as the one connected to the default gateway regardless of the brand/model?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 116

Replies: 10

Related Articles