Can't Log Into Home Server After Installing TP-Link Wired Router

2024-07-09 00:18:40 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:51:56

This is a problem related to a wired router, not a wireless one. I recently installed the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 on my home network, and now I am unable to access my home server dashboard, 192.168.0.133, via a web browser. I have tried several browsers to no avail. I am effectively locked out of my home server dashboard interface. I am sure that it is just a matter of configuration of the firewall on the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605, but am not sure of exactly what settings. Can someone please point me in the fight direction?

Thanks for any and all replies...

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can't Log Into Home Server After Installing TP-Link Wired Router-Solution
2024-07-10 11:20:57 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:51:56

@MR.S Thanks but I have found the solution. Apparently one has to include the port number in addition to the IP address in order to access the NAS dashboard.

Thanks to all who responded!

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Can't Log Into Home Server After Installing TP-Link Wired Router
2024-07-09 01:23:27

Hi @Technomann-2 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A router is a NAT device which means it will do address translation.

Have you checked if there is a double-NAT in your network?

Resolve the double-NAT if you have any. Set the modem into bridge mode.

Or you gotta port forward twice on two routers. That's not wise but a dumb way to do it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-09 03:23:07

@Technomann-2 Thanks "Clive" but that response is NOT very helpful. If you don't have any insight into this issue then please do NOT respond at all. That's a very DUMB thing to do...

Options
2024-07-09 05:33:55

@Technomann-2 

It is not so easy to estimate what your problem is from the description of the problem. it doesn't work on wired router but on wireless router it works you say, do you have two routers?? try to explain the problem a little better. no one on the forum can guess what you mean.
As for the wireless router why are you using it? if you don't know what you're doing, it can cause problems, I've seen that many times, a typical mistake there is that the wireless router is connected to the LAN with the WAN port. then you get two different networks with a firewall between the LAN and the wireless router.

try to explain how you have connected your network components.

Options
2024-07-09 12:51:11

@MR.S There is NO wireless router. I only made that comment because the title of the forum was "Wireless Routers" and I could find no forum for wired routers...

I will attempt to explain the problem again in a more detailed fashion: I set up the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 as my main router for my home network. The signal comes in from the ISP to the modem, and from the modem I have connected via cat 5 ethernet cable to the WAN port on the TL-R605. Basic stuff, right? All other devices are connected to the LAN ports on the TL-R605 -- my PC, the printer, and a small home server -- the ASUSTOR NAS -- that I mainly use for backups. Before I installed the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 I could connect to the dashboard of the ASUSTOR NAS via any web browser, simply by typing the LAN IP address into the URL field of the browser. Now, however, this is no longer possible. Whenever I attempt to I get the error:

Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.0.133.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Waterfox is permitted to access the web.

Which I suspect is due to the firewall on the TL-R605. If it is a problem with network address translation, how do I resolve it?

Than you for your assistance and for not engaging in name-calling...

Options
2024-07-09 12:52:05

@MR.S There is NO wireless router. I only made that comment because the title of the forum was "Wireless Routers" and I could find no forum for wired routers...

I will attempt to explain the problem again in a more detailed fashion: I set up the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 as my main router for my home network. The signal comes in from the ISP to the modem, and from the modem I have connected via cat 5 ethernet cable to the WAN port on the TL-R605. Basic stuff, right? All other devices are connected to the LAN ports on the TL-R605 -- my PC, the printer, and a small home server -- the ASUSTOR NAS -- that I mainly use for backups. Before I installed the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 I could connect to the dashboard of the ASUSTOR NAS via any web browser, simply by typing the LAN IP address into the URL field of the browser. Now, however, this is no longer possible. Whenever I attempt to I get the error:

Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.0.133.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Waterfox is permitted to access the web.

Which I suspect is due to the firewall on the TL-R605. If it is a problem with network address translation, how do I resolve it?

Than you for your assistance and for not engaging in name-calling...

Options
2024-07-09 13:11:20

@Technomann-2 

so what you're trying to do is simply LAN to LAN communication, which router you use should have no influence on that, the router gives out an ip and then the router doesn't do anything with the communication as long as it's not LAN to VLAN.. but I'm still confused that you mentioned that it worked via the wireless router (which you don't have) did you mean WiFi or somthing, are you sure the device you're trying to reach has the same ip as before you changed the router, is it fixed ip or does it get ip from dhcp?

Options
2024-07-09 23:47:03

@MR.S Before I purchased the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 I had a Netgear wireless router connected to the modem. That allowed me to connect to the ASUS NAS interface simply by typing the proper LAN IP for the NAS via any web browser. I have now configured that router as a WAP -- Wireless Access Point -- but most of the time it is not even turned on, so that router does not even enter into the equation of the current problem.

The TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605 assigns IP addresses to local area devices via DHCP, however one can "reserve" an IP for any specific device once it has been assigned automatically. The DHCP server assigned an IP of 192.168.0.133 to the ASUSTOR NAS, which I have now reserved or pinned to that device. The question remains, why can't I access the NAS control panel interface which I used to be able to do with the Netgear wireless router. For example, if I open any web browser on my PC and type in 192.168.0.1, the log in screen for the TP-Link R605 Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router appears, and I can log in and access all the configurations for the router. I should be able to access a similar dashboard for the NAS, but I can't...

Options
2024-07-10 03:56:18

@Technomann-2 

before we go further, upgrade the firmware on the router, the first versions were extremely buggy

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/firmware/2023/202312/20231221/ER605(UN)_v1_1.3.1%20Build%2020231207.zip

Options
2024-07-10 06:29:07

@Technomann-2 

Before I purchased the TP-Link Multi-WAN Wired VPN Router Omada TL-R605

If you've recently bought that, then for a start I'd request the supplier replace it with a v2 !. You have a v1 which is already end-of-life https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3562/

and will receive no more firmware updates.

Options
Re:Can't Log Into Home Server After Installing TP-Link Wired Router-Solution
2024-07-10 11:20:57 - last edited 2024-07-11 00:51:56

@MR.S Thanks but I have found the solution. Apparently one has to include the port number in addition to the IP address in order to access the NAS dashboard.

Thanks to all who responded!

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 357

Replies: 10

Related Articles