Can i just adopt only my EAP650s into omada?

2024-07-11 08:42:21 - last edited 2024-07-24 09:28:01

For a number of reasons, i prefer to keep most of my core hardware off any form of SDN, however i would like to adopt all my EAP650 into omada cloud for centralized wireless lan and AP management rather than accessing each individual device separately.

On my cloud controller, i have already pre configured my site settings with the the SSIDs and organized them into groups, all set with the correct encryption, keys and VLAN tags.

If i adopt only these, and nothing else into omada cloud, will i be able to manage them without have any gateways or switches adopted?  Will the SSID vlan tags still work correctly, and will i be able to set the correct LAN IP address for each AP ?

Will i also have to configure all my LANs with their appropriate VLAN IDs in the controller as well, even if im not adopting a gateway ?

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Can i just adopt only my EAP650s into omada?-Solution
2024-07-15 09:22:21 - last edited 2024-07-24 09:28:01

Hi  @GRL 

Yes, if you would like give EAP units fixed IP addresses, you need to configure on router's page.

Normally, they will display on DHCP list, and on that page, you will be able to reserve the IP address.

For your reference, below is a configuration guide for TP-Link routers:  How to configure Address Reservation on Wi-Fi Routers

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
Re:Can i just adopt only my EAP650s into omada?
2024-07-12 06:29:36

Hi  @GRL 

If i adopt only these, and nothing else into omada cloud, will i be able to manage them without have any gateways or switches adopted? 

>>>Yes.

Will the SSID vlan tags still work correctly?

>>>Yes.

and will i be able to set the correct LAN IP address for each AP ?

>>>Nope, DHCP is normally a router's function, you can configure address reservation on your router.

Will i also have to configure all my LANs with their appropriate VLAN IDs in the controller as well, even if im not adopting a gateway ?

>>>No need. You can still do VLAN configurations for your network, but not on the EAPs(controller). Just make sure the VLAN settings on the gateway router and switches are correctly configured. EAP will carry the VLAN settings to the corresponding SSIDs.

Options
Re:Can i just adopt only my EAP650s into omada?
2024-07-12 08:34:01

@Vincent-TP 

OK, thanks for that, very helpful

Just so im clear from your responses, the only thing i wall have to deal with then is the EAPs going to dynamic IP rather than my already configured static IP when they are adopted, so i just add them to reservation table in my router on the IPs i want them on ?

Options
Re:Can i just adopt only my EAP650s into omada?-Solution
2024-07-15 09:22:21 - last edited 2024-07-24 09:28:01

Hi  @GRL 

Yes, if you would like give EAP units fixed IP addresses, you need to configure on router's page.

Normally, they will display on DHCP list, and on that page, you will be able to reserve the IP address.

For your reference, below is a configuration guide for TP-Link routers:  How to configure Address Reservation on Wi-Fi Routers

Recommended Solution
Options