Votes

Silent SG3428X PoE switch

Votes

2024-07-16 09:25:43 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:58:35

Hi.

For some days now, SG3428XMP is available. Today I saw, SG3428XMPP is announced. Both have fans and thus are not really nice to use in conference rooms or offices. We are a quite small company and the room situation doesn't allow to have all edge switches in dedicated network rooms. So, what I could really use is a SG3428XP or SG3428XLP with fanless design, 10G SFP+ uplink port and up to 8 PoE ports with just sufficient power to run WLAN access points e.g. EAP650.

SG2210XMP-M2 is also nice, but 8 ports in total and not rack mountable is a drawback.

Kind regards

mwo

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Silent SG3428X PoE switch-Solution
2024-07-17 01:58:20 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:58:30

Hi @mwo 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

When it comes to 200W, any 24-port PoE switch, you require no fans in them, that's basically not possible.

I help you check some models. https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-switch-poe/?filterby=5996%2C6002

The very basic P models are equipped with fans. They are all above 200W. Consider fewer ports or unmanaged switches for PoE.

About the model naming, you can refer to the Omada naming format.

It is basically a manufacturing dilemma. You want performance and stability or sacrifice them for no-fan and quietness.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:Silent SG3428X PoE switch-Solution
2024-07-17 01:58:20 - last edited 2024-07-17 01:58:30

Hi @mwo 

When it comes to 200W, any 24-port PoE switch, you require no fans in them, that's basically not possible.

I help you check some models. https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-switch-poe/?filterby=5996%2C6002

The very basic P models are equipped with fans. They are all above 200W. Consider fewer ports or unmanaged switches for PoE.

About the model naming, you can refer to the Omada naming format.

It is basically a manufacturing dilemma. You want performance and stability or sacrifice them for no-fan and quietness.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Silent SG3428X PoE switch
2024-07-18 05:56:35

@Clive_A what about considering to use less noisy fans in upcoming models?

For example radial fans, instead off those tiny 20x20mm axial fans.

There's more than enough space in the 28 port models, for better performing and less noisy fans.

That shouldn't cost much and would lead to a much better costumer experience.

Maybe also think about changing those actual trashy fans in production to some better ones.

Options
2024-07-18 06:22:58

Hi @Philldu 

Philldu wrote

@Clive_A what about considering to use less noisy fans in upcoming models?

For example radial fans, instead off those tiny 20x20mm axial fans.

There's more than enough space in the 28 port models, for better performing and less noisy fans.

That shouldn't cost much and would lead to a much better costumer experience.

Maybe also think about changing those actual trashy fans in production to some better ones.

The cost.

First, I understand your position. I totally get it and this was something proposed by one of the similar requests. The user recommended we use Noctua fans which is famous for its quietness.

But this cost would eventually increase the price. Will this be acceptable? I am open to ideas but this is not looking promising and the acceptance from you(not only you who would like to afford the extra money for quietness while others may not find it is a problem.)

And, this would generate a new hardware version of models of course, when it comes to the parts changes. This one will make a big difference if you have two different hardware versions if this comes true. The return of the old models would be a concern as well before this is actually implemented.

In addition, the product targets the server room where the heat dissipation and noise were not supposed to be a concern. We have a desktop and fanless switch but not PoE... Maybe you could place the switch in the server room for POE supply. Adding unmanaged switches or other fanless, non-PoE switches instead for regular RJ45 connections.

The workaround for you can also be getting a server rack with exterior foam to isolate the noise.

Options
2024-07-18 07:32:19

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive. It is great to have this discussion and also see other people thinking of solutions.

I can totally understand your points. Anyway, I'd like to mention, that in my post, I didn't request 24 PoE-Ports. 8 out of the 24 are sufficient, because not all devices are PoE-powered.

There are products on the market, e.g. Allwinner ALL-SG8428v2FPM-10G or Cisco CBS250-24P-4X, which perfectly fit my requirements. But this would be the only network asset outside of the Omada environment. That's why I hoped, you might also be thinking of such a product.

mwo

Options
2024-07-18 08:36:51

Hi @mwo 

mwo wrote

@Clive_A 

Thank you Clive. It is great to have this discussion and also see other people thinking of solutions.

I can totally understand your points. Anyway, I'd like to mention, that in my post, I didn't request 24 PoE-Ports. 8 out of the 24 are sufficient, because not all devices are PoE-powered.

There are products on the market, e.g. Allwinner ALL-SG8428v2FPM-10G or Cisco CBS250-24P-4X, which perfectly fit my requirements. But this would be the only network asset outside of the Omada environment. That's why I hoped, you might also be thinking of such a product.

mwo

That's great to know that you could provide some info about how others do. I appreciate it. That can be a strong material for me to submit an evaluation and consider this.

I see that 24-PoE from Cisco has many hollows to let go of the heat. That might be something we need to learn. But not sure if that switch is durable in the stacked environment if the heat becomes a problem to performance?

Thanks for letting me know something I don't. I will give it some try.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 201

Replies: 5

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.