Vigi C385 improvement suggestions

2024-07-18 11:46:15
Model: VIGI C385  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 2.0.6

Hello everyone,

We would like to use the Vigi C385 camera as a webcam for photos only. It will replace an old TrendNET camera. 

Unfortunately, the TrendNET camera had some features that are not possible here. This is a pity and therefore I open this thread.

We would like to see the following improvements:

• Save images directly on the server without a folder. Currently (as I have tested) a folder is created for each day.
  • Specify the format of the date in the OSD settings. For example, "DD.MM.YYYY" or "YYYY/MM/DD" . 
  • In the OSD settings, the display of the day is only shown in English. It would be good if this could be changed. We currently leave this switched off.
  • Free choice of colour for the OSD displays. Nowadays this should no longer be a problem.
  • Function that updates can be installed automatically.
  • The possibility that the camera itself can use PPPoE. That would be a unique selling point.
  • Better upload quality on FTP for screenshots. But the feature already seems to be on the list?

And two more questions: 

1. For the FTP upload, I can also specify a capture number in addition to the capture time. The capture number is set to 5 by default. What is this function for? 
  2. Is a beta version already available or soon to be available with improvements?

BR Tim

Options
5 Reply
Re:Vigi C385 improvement suggestions
2024-07-19 02:42:51

Hi @TW_EPC 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

First, let's agree to the fact that the requests are not gonna be immediately effective. They need to be evaluated and sent to the PM and to the request pool, then to the dev. Get a pre-release or maybe beta.

I need some of them to be specific.

TW_EPC wrote

• Save images directly on the server without a folder. Currently (as I have tested) a folder is created for each day.
  • Specify the format of the date in the OSD settings. For example, "DD.MM.YYYY" or "YYYY/MM/DD" . 
  • In the OSD settings, the display of the day is only shown in English. It would be good if this could be changed. We currently leave this switched off

1-3 are small points that we can do some optimization.

TW_EPC wrote

• Free choice of colour for the OSD displays. Nowadays this should no longer be a problem.

"Free choice" is a blurry description. Meaning 256-bit color instead of the preset?

Any specific reason and scenario for this? 256-bit color is kinda strange to a camera OSD.

TW_EPC wrote

• Function that updates can be installed automatically.
  • The possibility that the camera itself can use PPPoE. That would be a unique selling point.
  • Better upload quality on FTP for screenshots. But the feature already seems to be on the list?

Auto-update is not considered conservative and safe. Our business product line, Omada, does not have this either.

Do you have any ideas about whether vendors can implement this?

NVR with PPPoE has passed the evaluation. But IPC for PPPoE? Any example?

FTP high-res image is on the roadmap.

TW_EPC wrote

And two more questions: 

1. For the FTP upload, I can also specify a capture number in addition to the capture time. The capture number is set to 5 by default. What is this function for? 
  2. Is a beta version already available or soon to be available with improvements?

BR Tim

1. After the event is triggered, how many pictures are captured, and what interval per picture is captured.

2. No.

If you plan to procure and place a bulk order, you can contact our local sales team regarding the models, price, and firmware customization. They can develop customized models and firmware based on the qty you intend to procure.

Usually, if the requests you have are not proposed before, then it will go through the fact I mentioned in the beginning. Some have been planned and will be available in near updates.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-19 07:21:35 - last edited 2024-07-19 07:21:57

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

I would be happy to describe the points in more detail:

1. Save images directly on the server without a folder. Currently (as I have tested) a folder is created for each day.

--> We have currently set up a permanent picture upload via FTP. This also works very well. As our web server always needs the latest photo, it would be much better if the photos were saved directly in the main FTP folder. Currently, the photos are saved in folders per day, which makes it difficult to select the latest photo. We have to build an extra service that always looks in the newest folder. It would be much easier if all photos were simply saved directly to the FTP without folders.

2. Specify the format of the date in the OSD settings. For example, "DD.MM.YYYY" or "YYYY/MM/DD" . 

--> The OSD format is currently only available as standard. In Germany, for example, we use a different format with dots. Our format is DD.MM.YYYY . It would be nice to be able to select the format structure. If DD and MM are swapped, it sometimes looks to Germans as if the wrong date is displayed. Example: 12.07.2027 (correct) = 2024-12-07. Some people see 07.12.2024 in there because the international format is the other way round and the month and day are swapped.

3. In the OSD settings, the display of the day is only shown in English. It would be good if this could be changed. We currently leave this switched off

--> Language selection for displaying the days would be good. For example, ‘Thu’ is currently displayed for Thursday. English. In Germany, however, this means "Donnerstag" or "Don". Here, too, it would be nice to be able to select this on a country-specific basis.

4. Free choice of colour for the OSD displays. Nowadays this should no longer be a problem.

--> We are also familiar with this from other cameras and were somewhat disappointed that this is not the case with the Vigi. Yes, 256-bit colour would be great! Our company colours are orange and blue. However, we find blue too dark in this case and orange is not available. We would like to give the camera our own design.

5. Function that updates can be installed automatically.

6. The possibility that the camera itself can use PPPoE. That would be a unique selling point.

--> Our old TrendNet camera could do this. And that's why we chose it at the time. The advantage is that the camera receives its own IP and you can then also access the camera via https or http with the external IP. For us as an Internet provider, this was always the best and fastest solution for managing the camera, as it made a PPPoE dial-in. There are very few models from different manufacturers that can do this. But this is a unique selling point and could have one or two advantages for customer scenarios.

I hope that this will clarify some points and hope for implementation. The Vigi camera has a lot of potential, unfortunately a 10 year old camera has a few more features and we very much hope that the Vigi will be able to do this at some point.

BR Tim

Options
2024-07-19 09:27:54

Hi @TW_EPC 

TW_EPC wrote

@Clive_A 

Hello Clive,

I would be happy to describe the points in more detail:

1. Save images directly on the server without a folder. Currently (as I have tested) a folder is created for each day.

--> We have currently set up a permanent picture upload via FTP. This also works very well. As our web server always needs the latest photo, it would be much better if the photos were saved directly in the main FTP folder. Currently, the photos are saved in folders per day, which makes it difficult to select the latest photo. We have to build an extra service that always looks in the newest folder. It would be much easier if all photos were simply saved directly to the FTP without folders.

2. Specify the format of the date in the OSD settings. For example, "DD.MM.YYYY" or "YYYY/MM/DD" . 

--> The OSD format is currently only available as standard. In Germany, for example, we use a different format with dots. Our format is DD.MM.YYYY . It would be nice to be able to select the format structure. If DD and MM are swapped, it sometimes looks to Germans as if the wrong date is displayed. Example: 12.07.2027 (correct) = 2024-12-07. Some people see 07.12.2024 in there because the international format is the other way round and the month and day are swapped.

3. In the OSD settings, the display of the day is only shown in English. It would be good if this could be changed. We currently leave this switched off

--> Language selection for displaying the days would be good. For example, ‘Thu’ is currently displayed for Thursday. English. In Germany, however, this means "Donnerstag" or "Don". Here, too, it would be nice to be able to select this on a country-specific basis.

4. Free choice of colour for the OSD displays. Nowadays this should no longer be a problem.

--> We are also familiar with this from other cameras and were somewhat disappointed that this is not the case with the Vigi. Yes, 256-bit colour would be great! Our company colours are orange and blue. However, we find blue too dark in this case and orange is not available. We would like to give the camera our own design.

5. Function that updates can be installed automatically.

6. The possibility that the camera itself can use PPPoE. That would be a unique selling point.

--> Our old TrendNet camera could do this. And that's why we chose it at the time. The advantage is that the camera receives its own IP and you can then also access the camera via https or http with the external IP. For us as an Internet provider, this was always the best and fastest solution for managing the camera, as it made a PPPoE dial-in. There are very few models from different manufacturers that can do this. But this is a unique selling point and could have one or two advantages for customer scenarios.

I hope that this will clarify some points and hope for implementation. The Vigi camera has a lot of potential, unfortunately a 10 year old camera has a few more features and we very much hope that the Vigi will be able to do this at some point.

BR Tim

I will pick some of them to respond as I had an email conversation with one of the engineers regarding the requests.

1. I may propose a different method but we now consider the current method is proper.

2. Time format, this is ISO 8601. What I researched, is that in Germany, it is using ISO 8601 2006. I think what we have fits the ISO.

3. Localization, we will consider that.

4. It would be hard to do. Are any vendors doing this?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-07-22 06:48:44

Clive_A wrote

Yes,

All of the things I listed are supported by the old TrendNet camera. So yes, there are manufacturers that can do this.

example: Trendnet TV-IP1318PI

BR Tim

Options
2024-07-23 02:14:33

Hi @TW_EPC 

TW_EPC wrote

Clive_A wrote

Yes,

All of the things I listed are supported by the old TrendNet camera. So yes, there are manufacturers that can do this.

example: Trendnet TV-IP1318PI

BR Tim

Will summarize this discussion and send it to the PM for further discussion and evaluation.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 185

Replies: 5

Voters 1