Omada Network - Devices drop moving through nodes

2024-07-26 15:00:50 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:37:32

Hi, I'm not sure what has happened, but since adding my EAP650's (I have two located on two buildings) in combination of 3 EAP620's, one inside one building and two inside another building, as I walk between the two buildings, there is plenty of coverage yet my devices are droppping network as I go back and forth. After spending a few minutes stationary wifi picks back up and I connect.

Prior to adding the EAP650's this problem did not occur (even though the signal was very week between the two spaces), I would stay on the wifi network. Now that that signal is strong, i'm dropping connection completely as it's like I'm moving two a new wifi network (even though it is setup as a mesh.

I'm unsure a better way to explain. The WIFI is setup as mesh.

Verisions are:

- EAP7206 - V1, version: 1.4.1

- EAP650-Outdoor - V1.0, version 1.1.4 (2 on premisis)

- EAP620 HD - V3.0, version 1.2.6 (3 on premisis)

All WAP are POE and connected through unmanged switches tied into EAP7206

Under mesh for devices, it states, "This AP is a wired AP currently"

Ender site management: Mesh is enabled (I guess I do not have a wireless mesh network - but I do want all my WAP's to act as one and move my devices as I walk through the space?)

I tried to run AI WLAN optimization - but that did not provide any benefit (well 2% improvement) and it did not correct the issue stated above.

Please help! Thank you!

-Ryan

Options
5 Reply
Re:Omada Network - Devices drop moving through nodes
2024-07-26 15:22:32 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:37:31

@slipmat 

I would download and install acrylic wireless analyzer on your laptop.  Then walk around.  anything below -73 on the 2.4 is the start of low signal.  Also look at the signal levels between APs.  Devices may show 1 or 2 bars, but that could be super low signal.  

Actually getting a good reading, you will get an idea of whats happening.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-07-26 16:04:51 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:37:31

@KimcheeGUN  - thank you, but I'm not thinking this is the issue, it's like my wifi doesn't move my device from WAP (i.e. MAC 9e over to MAC 40 when I walk between buildings, it just drops me, then when i'm in the new space it takes a while to reconnect me (unless I manually intervene)) - as I lose 9E WAP, I should be connecting to 40 WAP.

Sitting at my desk: Four WAPS visible with the following dBm

-54 MAC 9e

-58 MAC 44

-75 MAC 40

-91 MAC 00

Trying to find the worse spot, this is the lowest settings I could find (within the trouble area)

-62 MAC 00

-73 MAC 04

-82 MAC 40

-69 MAC 9E

While walking between buildings, when my wifi drops and doesn't reconnect for minutes:

-83 MAC 04

-80 MAC 44

-58 MAC 40

-52 MAC 9E

Options
2024-07-26 18:18:02 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:37:31

@slipmat 

Do you have fast roaming enabled?

If not, try it.  If so, disable it and retest.

May seem like its trying to connect to the furthest AP.  If fast roaming doesnt work... You want want to set Mini Rssi on 5ghz band to -73 (good starting point, can be adjusted).  Set mini rssi to -75 on the 2.4g band.  This will tell the APs to ignore clients with signal lower the the number entered.  This will force the client to search for the closest AP and the furthest one.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-07-29 01:37:21 - last edited 2024-07-29 01:37:31

Hi @slipmat 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

As this looks like an issue coming from the wireless. I will move your post to the EAP page.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-06 19:52:19

@KimcheeGUN I tried both of your suggestion and I'm still having the issue of just dropping. There was no change that I could tell.

What I feel is happening is...

- I am on an EAP620HD

- While walking between buildings start to get a stronger signal from both an EAP650 and EAP620HD

- I connect to EAP650, but then walk in a door, an lose the signal to EAP650

- I then have no connection for a moment, then I connect to EAP620HD inside building

Or there is something configured wrong and off with the EAP650s.

Distances:

- 100' unobstructed between EAP650 and walk path where signal is lost

- 100' between two buildings, each building has an EAP620HD on side (note sketch) closest to path

Here is a sketch of the area in question and where I lose signal:

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 173

Replies: 5

Related Articles