Running a VPN on one of my clients makes the ER707-M2 CPU spike to 100%

2024-08-01 06:14:07 - last edited 2024-08-01 07:48:09
Model: ER707-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.2.2

This behaviour has never occured before, but it's also been a while since I've used a VPN on one of my clients.

Whenever I'm running Proton VPN on my Linux computer, my ER707-M2 router's CPU spikes to 100%, causing slowness throughout my entire network (speed tests on other devices barely making it past 30Mbps despite being on a 1Gbps connection). Doesn't matter if I use UDP, TCP or WireGuard. I have yet to test if this also happens on a Windows computer.

Controller version is 5.14.26.1.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Running a VPN on one of my clients makes the ER707-M2 CPU spike to 100%-Solution
2024-08-01 06:38:36 - last edited 2024-08-01 07:48:11

Disabling deep packet inspection resolves the issue. But DPI has always been enabled on my controller and I never had this problem.

I'll see if I can get a Wireshark trace going. The network is completely loop-free, no changes have been made in the topology recently.

Or maybe the VPN's not at fault per se. It could also be that Peer to Peer traffic (like Bittorrent) is creating a huge strain on the DPI. I will do some further testing.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Running a VPN on one of my clients makes the ER707-M2 CPU spike to 100%-Solution
2024-08-01 07:27:16 - last edited 2024-08-01 07:48:09

Hi @Matva 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Matva wrote

Disabling deep packet inspection resolves the issue. But DPI has always been enabled on my controller and I never had this problem.

I'll see if I can get a Wireshark trace going. The network is completely loop-free, no changes have been made in the topology recently.

Or maybe the VPN's not at fault per se. It could also be that Peer to Peer traffic (like Bittorrent) is creating a huge strain on the DPI. I will do some further testing.

DPI.. No wonder.

DPI will examine every packet from the local network. You use a VPN and create much work to do with the CPU. That spikes the CPU.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Running a VPN on one of my clients makes the ER707-M2 CPU spike to 100%
2024-08-01 06:31:51

Hi @Matva 

Have you Wireshark to monitor if there is any re-transmission on the LINUX?

Suspect this might be a problem with the VPN. No clear sign indicates that this is a fault on the router yet. But this is a clear sign that your network experienced the re-transmission and seems to have a loop. This is also a clear symptom of the loop.

I would expect to learn more about your network diagram, configs on the router, and the monitor results.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-01 06:38:36 - last edited 2024-08-01 07:48:11

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-01 07:27:16 - last edited 2024-08-01 07:48:09

Hi @Matva 

Matva wrote

DPI.. No wonder.

DPI will examine every packet from the local network. You use a VPN and create much work to do with the CPU. That spikes the CPU.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Running a VPN on one of my clients makes the ER707-M2 CPU spike to 100%
2024-08-01 08:00:20
But as mentioned, this never was an issue before. DPI has been enabled on my controller ever since the feature became available and I never experienced 100% cpu usage.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 4

Related Articles