[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically

[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically

2024-08-13 23:21:05 - last edited 2024-08-15 08:54:55
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.16.3 Build 20240620 Rel.81038

Controller Version

Firmware Version
2.16.3 Build 20240620 Rel.81038

I just thought I'd try out the cool feature to email myself logs when issues occur. I programmed everything correctly, and test email works fine. But I get that message in my Events log and I never get an email.

This seems to be an issue that's been going on for at least a year by reading some older messages. Is there a checkbox I mixed to get it to automatically email me even when the Test Email is successful? I don't use any cloud access, it's all programmed into the Settings->Server Settings section. My user is a Local User with Main Administrator role. The email address is entered into that account, and the Alert Emails is checked.

Thanks,

Tom

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically-Solution
2024-08-14 21:45:54 - last edited 2024-08-15 08:54:55

@Vincent-TP Yup. It's configured correctly. The Test Email button works perfectly and sends me an email. I did have to enable Event Emails, but it made no difference.

What decade was that help link from? My interface was totally different. My "Mail Server" was actually in Global->Settings->Server Settings.

The other settings were at: Site->Logs->Notifications->Alert->Alert Emails and Site->Logs->Notifications->Event->Event Emails

I made sure all those options in the help link were enabled and setup correctly, and the test button sent an email.

BTW, Global->Settings->Server Settings->Sender Address doesn't work. I put something in there, but the email still says it's from me, the email address in Username to log into the SMTP server (From: Omada SDN Controller <my_email_address>). I'm guessing it's probably because of all those security measures in place with email to not allow email to be impersonated and the From field to be changed.

EDIT: I got it to work! I had to change Global->Settings->Server Settings->Sender Address to the same as Username email address. I think maybe my SMTP server is rejecting the email because the From field is something other than my username email address. But it's weird that the Test Email button works, probably just a bug.

Also, the (?) help link in the controller states "Sender Address: Specify the sender address of the email. If you leave it blank, the controller will uses your email address as the sender address.". But, I cannot leave Sender Address blank, it won't let me click Apply. A slight bug in the interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically
2024-08-14 07:06:00

Hi  @MrTom 

You may first refer to this link to make sure the SMTP server is correctly configured.

Why we need to configure mail server on Omada SDN controller before adding cloud user and email log

Options
Re:[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically-Solution
2024-08-14 21:45:54 - last edited 2024-08-15 08:54:55

@Vincent-TP Yup. It's configured correctly. The Test Email button works perfectly and sends me an email. I did have to enable Event Emails, but it made no difference.

What decade was that help link from? My interface was totally different. My "Mail Server" was actually in Global->Settings->Server Settings.

The other settings were at: Site->Logs->Notifications->Alert->Alert Emails and Site->Logs->Notifications->Event->Event Emails

I made sure all those options in the help link were enabled and setup correctly, and the test button sent an email.

BTW, Global->Settings->Server Settings->Sender Address doesn't work. I put something in there, but the email still says it's from me, the email address in Username to log into the SMTP server (From: Omada SDN Controller <my_email_address>). I'm guessing it's probably because of all those security measures in place with email to not allow email to be impersonated and the From field to be changed.

EDIT: I got it to work! I had to change Global->Settings->Server Settings->Sender Address to the same as Username email address. I think maybe my SMTP server is rejecting the email because the From field is something other than my username email address. But it's weird that the Test Email button works, probably just a bug.

Also, the (?) help link in the controller states "Sender Address: Specify the sender address of the email. If you leave it blank, the controller will uses your email address as the sender address.". But, I cannot leave Sender Address blank, it won't let me click Apply. A slight bug in the interface.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:[Failed]The controller failed to mail global logs to <email address> automatically
2024-08-15 02:30:46

Hi  @MrTom 

Glad to hear that you have finally made it work!!!

For the (?) help link in the controller states "Sender Address, thank you so much for the feedback, I will forward it to our R&D team and they will modify it in the subsequent firmware update. 

Options
2024-08-15 15:17:45

@Vincent-TP Also remember to let them know there's something different between the Send Test Email and the automated email in how each one uses Sender Address.

Thanks,

Tom

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 202

Replies: 4

Related Articles