TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats

TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats

2024-08-19 08:59:34 - last edited 2024-08-20 03:55:23

Hi

I'm researching the TL-ER7206 router which I intend to marry up with a Deco X55 and TP-Link unmanaged switch.

I currently have a Netgear R9000 which remains configured almost as "out of the box".  I have not experienced any security or performance issues with the Netgear product.

I'm seeking clarity on the suitability of the online security set up of this product for home use. I've reviewed the User Guide (Firewall section) as well as the support chat titled How to prevent ARP Cheat or Attack https://www.tp-link.com/au/support/faq/169/.  There have been other online chats but the responses seem unclear (at least to me).

Frankly it is beyond my capacity to fully comprehend, implement and maintain what appears to be a sophisticated security offering.  I'm left with trying to understand the set up "out of the box" to assess the suitability for my basic needs.  Or is it simply the case this product is not suitable for a beginner like me?

If the later could you provide suitable alternatives?

Thanks in anticipaction.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats-Solution
2024-08-20 02:26:41 - last edited 2024-08-20 03:55:23

Hi @Sheps 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Sheps wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for responding.

I'm preparing to implement the TL-ER7206 router in my home.  I am trying to understand the suitability of the network security provided by the default settings in the router.

My main concern is I don't want to go live with the router only to find I don't have a reasonable level of network security.  I can't assess this from the information available.

I came across ARP and Attack Defense for the first time when reading the Firewall section of the user guide.  I've used Access Control with my Netgear 9000 WiFi Router so have some idea how it works.

ARP and Attack Defense appears complex to implement and administer.  I'm trying to understand the need this protection and if so a simpler way to administer e.g. easy set up templates.

I only learned about Standalone Mode this morning.  As I am only using one Omada device I intend on using Standalone mode.

I hope this makes my request clearer.  I don't have technical IT knowledge so it is a steep learning curve.

Kind regards,

Some settings are default. You don't have to change them if you are not familiar with them.

For others, you can enable them and configure them with the User Guide if you think it is necessary.

You can try out the emulator first to learn about them. The help center is in the top right corner with a question mark.

https://emulator.tp-link.com/ER7206(UN)%202.20/index.html

https://emulator.tp-link.com/emulator-v5.13/index.html

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats
2024-08-20 01:18:32

Hi @Sheps 

Huh, TBH, I don't know what you need in this situation.

ARP spoofing is a problem in your network?

ARP problems should be resolved by the IP-MAC binding if you have a problem with this.

The ER7206 in standalone mode also has some features for ARP. You can take a look at the specs or datasheet.

For the rest of the "external threats", IDS and DPI on Omada routers can be of help but note that they are not cloud-synced databases like the Deco which you may pay for the upgrade version of protection.

You should be specific about the requirements so I can make a clear recommendation. As for now, it is a generic explanation and guess of the suitable products for you.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats
2024-08-20 01:37:48

@Clive_A 

Thanks for responding.

I'm preparing to implement the TL-ER7206 router in my home.  I am trying to understand the suitability of the network security provided by the default settings in the router.

My main concern is I don't want to go live with the router only to find I don't have a reasonable level of network security.  I can't assess this from the information available.

I came across ARP and Attack Defense for the first time when reading the Firewall section of the user guide.  I've used Access Control with my Netgear 9000 WiFi Router so have some idea how it works.

ARP and Attack Defense appears complex to implement and administer.  I'm trying to understand the need this protection and if so a simpler way to administer e.g. easy set up templates.

I only learned about Standalone Mode this morning.  As I am only using one Omada device I intend on using Standalone mode.

I hope this makes my request clearer.  I don't have technical IT knowledge so it is a steep learning curve.

Kind regards,

Options
Re:TL-ER7206 -SafeStream Gigabit Multi-WAN VPN Router - Security fom external threats-Solution
2024-08-20 02:26:41 - last edited 2024-08-20 03:55:23

Hi @Sheps 

Sheps wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for responding.

Kind regards,

Some settings are default. You don't have to change them if you are not familiar with them.

For others, you can enable them and configure them with the User Guide if you think it is necessary.

You can try out the emulator first to learn about them. The help center is in the top right corner with a question mark.

https://emulator.tp-link.com/ER7206(UN)%202.20/index.html

https://emulator.tp-link.com/emulator-v5.13/index.html

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-20 03:35:02

@Clive_A 

Many thanks the emulators are excellent.

Options
2024-08-20 20:16:05

@Sheps 

Hi,

After careful consideration I won't proceed with the implementation of the router.  It is simply too complicated for me and I'm assume many other users.

I note the User Guide states:

Intended Readers
This Guide is intended for network managers familiar with IT concepts and network
terminologies.

It's a shame there isn't a lite version of the interface suitable for home use.  There seems to be a gap in the market for this type of product.

Thanks again.

Options