EAP215 Bridge-Kit Fails to Adopt Sub AP

3 weeks ago
Model: EAP215-Bridge KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.6 Build 20240712 Rel. 36782

For reference, my network already consists of mutiple working EAP650 indoor APs all hardwired to an SG3452P switch, not mesh.  I wanted to connect an out building about 700' away from our main building using the EAP215-Bridge-Kit which will then include a SG2428P switch, EAP650 and 3 IP cameras in the out building.  I just want to use this bridge as a means to connect another building, it doesn't need to provide WiFi access to clients.

My problem is that the Main AP gets adopted by the OC200 controller but as soon as it does the signal drops to the Sub AP and it fails adoption.  I'm setting this up in a controlled office with APs about 3' apart then will install at their respective locations once adopted fully.

I've tried resetting the APs to factory default multiple times (forgetting the Main AP on the controller and manually resetting the Sub AP) and get the same results when trying to adopt again.

After resetting and before adoption both APs create their network with each other and it is stable.  I can see both their default SSIDs on my phone and they are in a pending status on the controller.  All lights on the APs look like they should in this state.  Once the Main AP is adopted its default SSID drops from my phone and the signal LEDs go out on the Sub AP and it fails to adopt although I can stil see its default SSID on my phone.  The Main AP now has all my WLANs enabled.

From the instructions, after I start the Main AP adoption it should automatically adopt the Sub AP.  I guess it tries but fails due to signal loss?  I've manually tried to readopt the Sub AP while selecting the Main AP but it also fails.

Any ideas what I might try to get this to work?

Thanks in advance.

Options
6 Reply
Re:EAP215 Bridge-Kit Fails to Adopt Sub AP
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@FarmerC 

What is the firmware version for your Omada controller? Please try updating its firmware to the newest version. Normally, after the main AP has been adopted, the sub AP is automatically adopted. Have you tried exchanging the main and sub-AP?You may also try setting them up via its Web interface to see if the issue persists when pairing them.How to configure Omada wireless bridge via standalone management

If it is still not working and was purchased recently, you can contact the retailer to get a new pair.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
3 weeks ago

@Hank21 

Controller version 1.31.3 Build 20240620 Rel.80383.  I had updated to this version when prompted to do so a number of weeks back.  As far as I can tell it is the latest version.

I was able to create a stable connection using the Web Interface but have not tried switching them and readopting as yet.  When I get time later today I will give it a try.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Hank21 

Manually configured the APs to reverse their roles.  Main AP now functions as Sub AP, Sub AP now functions as Main AP.  LAN cable connected to Main AP PoE supply.

Tried to adopt and the current Main AP adopts fine but the Sub AP loses connection like before and fails adoption.  Message "failed to link to the uplink AP".

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@FarmerC 

Could you please follow these instructions to ensure that you configure it correctly? Please pay attention to the IP address. Is there an IP conflict on the network?How to configure Omada wireless bridge via Omada Controller

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
3 weeks ago

@FarmerC 

Those are the instructions I used initially.  On my initial out of box try I did get them to adopt and connect but at the same time I had a network problem that I had incorrectly attributed to this setup so I removed the bridge from the controller by forgetting the devices.  I determined the network problem wasn't caused by this setup and was software in nature.  That has since been resolved.  When I tried to set up the bridge again, and all subsequent attempts, I have the problem i've described.

The devices get DHCP IP addresses from the default subnet that all my switches and EAPs are on so no conflict there.  Once they are adopted and stable I will change to static IP.

Since I was able to reverse the roles of the bridge APs it is still whatever device is the Sub AP that loses connection and fails adoption.  If i do get the devices to adopt then the Sub AP will disconnect after a few minutes and stay disconnected.  Rebooting the devices has no effect.

I'm going to try and set them up on my home network which is also TP-Link and see if the results are different.  This will rule out the bridge hardware if it works.

Options
3 weeks ago

@FarmerC 

Please give it a shot, and let me know if the problem persists.

Options