TP-LINK is removing OpenAPI and RADIUS in OC200 v5.15

3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.14.26.23

TP-LINK is removing OpenAPI and RADIUS from the OC200 controller in v5.15.

This is NOT OK - it's really very poor corporate behaviour, and highly damaging to customer's trust in your product offering.  You're taking away a feature I use extensively - it was one of the key reasons I bought the OC200 only a few months ago.

TP-LINK has effectively dropped a key product offering without any user consultation, and with zero user compensation.

What's next??? How can we now trust that you won't do the exact same thing to all other key features that we've already paid you for? I see you're just recommending to go away and buy a new OC300 - which feels a little like basic extortion.

I hope you're going to offer existing users of the OC200 a very heavily discounted OC300 as compensation ???

What's your plan?

Options
12 Reply
Re:TP-LINK is removing OpenAPI and RADIUS in OC200 v5.15
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Hank21 

OK. But this does not change the fact that you're removing a key feature that your customers selected your product for, and then paid for.

Also with zero customer consultation - or compensation.

How will you compensate users in their migration to the OC300 to retain such a key feature??

To not do so is basic extortion, and extremely anti-consumer.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@clogtastic 

Since the OC200 is under powered do you want TP-Link to stop and develop/upgrade the Omada platform, they could say that the OC200 does not support any newer upgrades but instead they remove some functions so that you can still use the OC200 in the future, my best tip is to upgrade to a software controller and you will avoid hardware problems like this in the future.

if you are very dependent on the functions that are being removed, no one is forcing you to upgrade. disable automatic upgrade and you can use the old OC200 as long as you wan with current firmware.

why they still sell the OC200 is another story.
it should be out of the store and no longer sold.

Options
2 weeks ago

@MR.S 

"do you want TP-Link to stop and develop/upgrade the Omada platform"

Well of course not. But if the OC200 is really so under-specced because TPLINK cheaped out on the hardware, then it really shouldn't have been for sale in the first place. TPLINK should be offering a heavily compensated upgrade to the OC300, rather than just crippling a device that I bought only a few months ago and telling customers to go spend more themselves.

Sure a software controller is possible. Hardware is required though and I paid for the OC200 to do that. I should not have to pay out again for new hardware to run the software controller.

Disabling updates including security patches etc is never a good practice on any platform, and is generally a recipe for disaster. I don't see that as a viable solution for anybody.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 please answer the question on compensation and discounted upgrade to the OC300.

Options

@Hank21 Making these choices for your customers is bad, I prefer not getting new features over existing things breaking.
What's next on the chopping block and where does this stop?

If you insist on bringing new features to aging hardware then give us the option to disable and enable things as we need.
I only use Omada for my access points, I would trade the majority of features available in the interface for the API in a heartbeat.

Also: Advising people not to update their controller is a bad security practice!

Options
2 weeks ago

@clogtastic 

with all due respect, this really sounds funny.

a feature was removed due to the limitation of the hardware... huh, you hope that tp-link can squeeze the last performance of oc200 per your request and crash the system while it is working as usual?

for any sort of system, it is not a good idea to squeeze the last performance. you know. you purchase like a pro but don't sound like a pro. 

any system I know would not push to the envelope unless I made it by changing the config. they leave the performance redundancy for the sake of the system stability. 

do you play around with the overvolt? like the cpu, gpu and ram, you can push them to the limit. the advertised volt/tdp or the silicon limit, but that does not mean it can work stably at that extreme volt you gave. sometimes, for the safe and stable system, you don't volt that much to squeeze for performance. 

as previously discussed with the rep, i totally get the point. that's unfortunate. but normal and expected. 

you paid for the hardware not for the omada system. hardware is kinda out of date in 2024. oc200 v2 is like, been around for 2 or 3 years. it was designed for v4 initially, you use v4 back then? that was pretty overkill for the v4. when it comes to v5, features are increasing fast. big time for the v5. 

omada's free but that little piece of paperweight costs you money. you actually paid for the hardware. 

v5.15 is gonna be a big release. they are gonna relocate the resources for the new features. 

what do you hope they compensate? it becomes unrealistic and funny.

oc200 is the most sold model they have, so they gotta discount for oc300 for all the sold oc200? meet the basic requirements of the system. 

they removed features not only like this one. some features were removed in V5 too. 

it's the software, and it's free. think about it. you probably gonna lose your mind if it is a charged system like others.

either swallow it or consider a different solution. i use linux and i am ok with the system. i never trust pre-built stuff. i'd rather host the servers myself than buy pre-built stuff. they just not as good as price wise mini pc or other dev boards. i can always utilize them later on. 

tp should rethink a revision of v3 upgrading the hardware to catch the growth of the system. v2 is way too old. should stop making this model. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options

@Tedd404 "you purchase like a pro but don't sound like a pro"

Any pro that is affected by this involuntairy, barely pre-announced feature regression on an existing implementation would ditch the whole platform because this just isn't acceptable.
And not because they have to fork over 150 bucks (x amount of deployments) for a new controller.

The only correct way to handle this in a "pro" space is with EOS and EOL dates. (End of Sale and End of Life, for who doesn't know)
And then instead of random existing features getting the axe, you don't get the new features on the old hardware. That is how this normally works.

TP-Link still sells OC200 with zero caviats and there's also no replacement for it, they obviously don't think it's outdated.
They are walking back on a featureset this hardware was origionally sold with and that is a problem.
And so is advising people to just not update if they want to keep the features.

(And for the record, the OC300 everybody is beeing steered towards is not it's replacement, it's  explicitly sold for bigger enviroments.)

Addendum:

I'm noticing   @Hank21 's replies seem to have been deleted from this topic. What is up with that?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Tedd404 

It's surprising that you feel the need to resort to personal comments in order to so heavily protect this poor old defenseless multi-billion dollar company.

Of course people are buying the OC200 hardware + software as a single package - it's marketed as such. Customers would not buy the OC200 if it was just the hardware.

If the OC200 is really so under-specced because TPLINK cheaped out on the hardware, then it really shouldn't have been for sale in the first place in 2024 . It should have been EOL'ed quite some time back, not kept up for sale in 2024 giving the highly misleading impression to customers that it's actually still fit for purpose in 2024.

TPLINK should be offering a heavily compensated upgrade or trade-in to the OC300 for the OC200 users who wish to retain the features that were implemented, publicly documented, and which are now being deprecated without any community debate. 

Crippling a device that customers bought in good faith only a few months ago, and then telling those same customers to go spend more themselves on the more expensive model is highly unethical at best.

Options
2 weeks ago

@clogtastic 

clogtastic wrote

@Tedd404 

It's surprising that you feel the need to resort to personal comments in order to so heavily protect this poor old defenseless multi-billion dollar company.

Of course people are buying the OC200 hardware + software as a single package - it's marketed as such. Customers would not buy the OC200 if it was just the hardware.

If the OC200 is really so under-specced because TPLINK cheaped out on the hardware, then it really shouldn't have been for sale in the first place in 2024 . It should have been EOL'ed quite some time back, not kept up for sale in 2024 giving the highly misleading impression to customers that it's actually still fit for purpose in 2024.

TPLINK should be offering a heavily compensated upgrade or trade-in to the OC300 for the OC200 users who wish to retain the features that were implemented, publicly documented, and which are now being deprecated without any community debate. 

Crippling a device that customers bought in good faith only a few months ago, and then telling those same customers to go spend more themselves on the more expensive model is highly unethical at best.

suffice when oc200 v2 was released but not enough for 2024 and future v5.15. you did not read what i wrote. oc200 v2 was released a long time ago. it's like 2-3 years now. v1 was abandoned due to the reason of the chipset and performance as i recall. you can look it up about v1. 

you cannot deny things are getting old. you made a bad purchase choice when it comes to the software shift. sell it on ebay and get a new one or buy a pi for versatility.

it was there before you even showed up on the omada system. i was using the er605 v1 when it was released. it was abandoned as well and no more updates to it. if you buy er605 v1 in 2024, so will this be a scam? it's a mistake you made in picking up the wrong device. 

oc200 was recently announced as such bad news.

i understand your position and the company's. would be normal if you work with more people and companies. things like this happen everywhere.

windows, apple, and others. tech giant does not go easy on you. are they ethical? are they kind enough to not deceive you into their new products/system? do you complain to them? i do, but that does not make a wave. 

i've been through the trial phase and played with their "new tech" but sold them. i am not interested in fancy terms and ideas. they are not as solid enough for the long term. i am now getting new stuff by learning how it works and seeing if i have another choice to make a long term deal. 

don't get so agitated by this. and the reason for this removal is acceptable. intel has not compensated their customers for the 14th as far as i know? 

if you literally dislike it, just throw it away, sell it. like i do, i discard apple stuff as they cheap out their products. that's expensive electronic garbage/waste. i find myself comfort with the windows desktop and android phones. hard to move on at first, but quite good now. at least i don't have to deal with the slow and bug out ios.

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options
2 weeks ago

@Polderviking 

Polderviking wrote

@Tedd404 "you purchase like a pro but don't sound like a pro"

Any pro that is affected by this involuntairy, barely pre-announced feature regression on an existing implementation would ditch the whole platform because this just isn't acceptable.
And not because they have to fork over 150 bucks (x amount of deployments) for a new controller.

The only correct way to handle this in a "pro" space is with EOS and EOL dates. (End of Sale and End of Life, for who doesn't know)
And then instead of random existing features getting the axe, you don't get the new features on the old hardware. That is how this normally works.

TP-Link still sells OC200 with zero caviats and there's also no replacement for it, they obviously don't think it's outdated.
They are walking back on a featureset this hardware was origionally sold with and that is a problem.
And so is advising people to just not update if they want to keep the features.

(And for the record, the OC300 everybody is beeing steered towards is not it's replacement, it's  explicitly sold for bigger enviroments.)

Addendum:

I'm noticing   @Hank21 's replies seem to have been deleted from this topic. What is up with that?

if you host this for multiple sites for your customers, it'd be at least oc300. 

and the oc200 and 300 got limits on their specs. i'd go with the software version if this gonna expand. 

it has announced early and i don't recall but it seems to be for a while. on the forum this has been discussed before? 

it's not EOS or EOL but it should be approaching to the end of the life cycle imo. you read macrumors if you happen to be a tech fan? they have buyer guides and they list products of the apple that approach the end of the cycle or middle in the product cycle. 

oc200 still got stock and you might get v2 after v3 was announced. the stock problem was something mentioned on the forum before. you could get an EOL product even it is end of manufacturing. 

they remove features that do not perform well or take up resources. speed test was removed versions ago due to the performance issue. 

about the security, unless you are placing this on the public internet, it would be fine. if you have loopholes in your environment, it is advised to update all the devices for the sake of security and avoid data breaches. 

AFAIK, tp never gives the notice or warning of the EOL. you gotta consult with them, ticket mostly i use to confirm it. 

ive been in the same position like you and the other dude, stabbed in the back, got abandoned along the dev cycle. that's why i am really cautious about these pre built stuff.  avoid these as possible. i'd go with the pi rather than a controller that cannot be used for other purposes. it's gonna be a paperweight when it comes to an end. electronic waste. maybe someone may utilize it and i'd sell it for people who has a basic need for networking. 

i feel you but also understand the limit. like the er605 v1 i used to have. i am now moving to the 8411 which should stand longer(hope so) with the overall optimal specs. i am also positive about the future and v5.15. 

Options