Strange behavior

Strange behavior

Strange behavior
Strange behavior
a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.1.2

Hi all, I'm using an ER605 as my main router, just downstream of the frontier fiber box.  

I have two of the LAN ports used, I think I have them configured to be all on the same network, but given the problems I'm having, maybe not?

About a month ago I had to reconnect everything when the frontier fiber box gave up the ghost and had to be replaced.  Previously I was only using 1 of the LAN ports.  Now, I have two connecting to various things on the network: wifi access points, hardwired computers, a printer, a NAS, a switch, a NAS, etc.  (many wifi devices in a modern home obviously, don't need to list them all here!)

The odd behavior I'm seeing has a couple of symptoms. 

1. On wifi devices, sometimes some apps just won't load until I turn wifi off and operate on the cell network. 

2. On both my laptop (wifi) and desktop (ethernet hardwired), sometimes certain links won't load and I'll get a server not found message. I see this typically in links sent in emails.  

3. My solar system is disconnected from the wifi now, according to the company, and I can't seem to get it back on.  

Could any of this be related to settings in my ER605?  If so, where should I be looking?

Thanks

Geoff

Options
3 Reply
Re:Strange behavior
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hi @gdgross 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

1. Check your DNS. If you are using the public DNS, there should be no problem with the connection.

2. Likewise.

3. IP address? Refer to this: Troubleshooting Techniques for Laymen

If you believe you have an error in your network scheme, please post a diagram.

Please mosaic your sensitive information. Here is a list of information considered sensitive:

1. Public IP address on your WAN if your WAN is.

2. Real MAC address of your device.

3. Your personal information including address, domain name, and credentials.

For troubleshooting purposes, when a WAN IP is needed, please leave some values visible for identification.

BTW, upgrade your firmware. Latest one is 2.2.6.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Thursday

@Clive_A 

Thanks Clive!

It doesn't look like I'm using a DNS, at least on the ER605 (and I don't think any other devices on my network would be!).  At least, my WAN IP as read from the ER605 matches what dnsleaktest dot com told me my IP was.

Here's a diagram of my network. 

I tried upgrading the FW downloaded on a laptop connected via wifi and attempted to upgradw by selecting that file in the ER605 webpage, but it said failed, check the bin file or something to that effect.  Does the new fw bin file need to be on a wired connection or something?  I'm 99% sure I downloaded the right file from TPlinks site. 

THere's no sensitive info in this diagram, I'm very much an IT layman. 

Thanks

Options
Friday

Hi @gdgross 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

gdgross wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks Clive!

It doesn't look like I'm using a DNS, at least on the ER605 (and I don't think any other devices on my network would be!).  At least, my WAN IP as read from the ER605 matches what dnsleaktest dot com told me my IP was.

Here's a diagram of my network. 

I tried upgrading the FW downloaded on a laptop connected via wifi and attempted to upgradw by selecting that file in the ER605 webpage, but it said failed, check the bin file or something to that effect.  Does the new fw bin file need to be on a wired connection or something?  I'm 99% sure I downloaded the right file from TPlinks site. 

THere's no sensitive info in this diagram, I'm very much an IT layman. 

Thanks

Don't see anything wrong with the diagram.

You should do the tests I mentiend above. Ping reuslts from clients to the gateway, and tests from the client to the public DNS servers like 8.8.8.8. Use the -t mode. That's important to tell if this problem resides in the LAN or WAN.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options