Votes

Add alert or warning when WPA3 mode is allowed when some APs do not support it.

Votes

a week ago
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 5.0.6

I see several feature requests relating to WPA3, but none that appear to address this particular issue.

I recently replaced an EAP235-Wall Access Point with an EAP615-Wall Access Point to get roaming working between that area and others. I also have 4 other Access points in the system, covering multiple buildings, all EAP2xx units. Once this happened I had multiple devices that stopped connecting consistently and after far too much time wasted on troubleshooting and experimentation I discovered that once devices connected to any of several SSIDs using the EAP615 they would no longer connect anywhere else. I got no useful response in the WiFi support forum here and was on the point of pulling the EAP615 and sending it back as defective when I found a couple of Reddit posts about WPA3 issues in mixed systems.

I learned that the EAP2xx series do not support WPA3 so I first attempted to set my devices to only use WPA2 when connecting to these SSIDs, which worked fine on Linux and embedded devices but Google and Microsoft in their infinite wisdom don't give a @#^#@& what choices end users make and upgrade the connection to WPA3 anyway once the EAP615 is used. I eventually found that by going into the wireless settings advanced options for each SSID in Omada Controller and changing the WPA Mode to not include WPA3, my WiFi is usable again.

The feature request is this. Please add an alert or some other warning regarding WPA3 incompatibility issues if a system has WPA3 enabled as an option while some or all APs do not support it. This seems like a fairly obvious issue and I'm surprised that I even had the ability to enable WPA3 in a system where NONE of the TP-Link Access Points support that feature and issues like this occur as soon as there is a mix.

Options
2 Reply
Re:Add alert or warning when WPA3 mode is allowed when some APs do not support it.
a week ago

Hi @KocherJJ

I am not responsible for the AP products, just chip in this. Hank or Vincent will join the discussion.

EAP200 is WIFI 5. WPA3 is not a WIFI 5 standard. That's why WIFI 6 advertises the WPA3.

And the current Configuration Results tab on the Device page shows what features are supported or not.

Best Regards! On Holiday If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Add alert or warning when WPA3 mode is allowed when some APs do not support it.
Monday

Hi  @KocherJJ 

There will be a notice after every operation. 

At the same time, we will forward your feedback and situation to the relevant team. Thank you for posting it.

Feel free to let us know of any other feature requests you may have, we’d be happy to send them up for you.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 55

Replies: 2

Voters 1