Outdoor Access Point Set-up

Tuesday
Model: EAP110-Outdoor  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I'm looking to purchase an EAP225 Outdoor or an EAP110 outdoor access point and use it in combination with my Deco M5 mesh system. The Deco M5 system serves the indoors but the signal from the M5 does not penetrate the concrete walls. Hence I need to set up of an outdoor access point. My questions is how is it best to configure the outdoor access point and are both the EAP225 and EAP110 suitable for this purpose? Does anyone have any advice about which is the best, the most cost effective and the easiest to set up? Will I also be able to use the same WIFI name for the outdoor access point as I have for the indoor mesh system and will it work seamlessly with the existing M5 mesh system?

Options
7 Reply
Re:Outdoor Access Point Set-up
Tuesday

@MichaelMesh123 

set up ssid and password the same as with deco and it will work. don't buy the EAP110. EAP225-Outdoor works but I would buy EAP6xx-Outdoor , EAP625-Outdoor HD is very good.

Options
Wednesday

Hi @MichaelMesh123 

Both the TP-Link EAP225 Outdoor and EAP110 Outdoor can be used in combination with your Deco M5 mesh system to some extent, but they have their own characteristics in terms of configuration, cost-effectiveness, and ease of setup:

1. Configuration:
    • EAP225 Outdoor: This is a more advanced model with better performance and more features. To configure it, you need to connect it to your existing network (in this case, the Deco M5 system) via Ethernet cable. You can then access its management interface through a web browser by entering the default IP address. From there, you can set up parameters such as the SSID (wireless network name), password, and security settings. It also supports features like MU-MIMO and has better signal coverage and stability, which is suitable for outdoor environments7.
    • EAP110 Outdoor: It is a relatively basic model. The configuration process is similar to that of the EAP225 Outdoor, but its performance and features are relatively simpler. It can provide basic wireless access point functionality for outdoor use, but its signal strength and concurrent connection capabilities may be weaker than those of the EAP225 Outdoor.
  2. Cost-effectiveness:
    • EAP225 Outdoor is a high-performance outdoor access point, but its price is relatively higher. If you need better signal quality, stronger stability, and more advanced features, and are willing to invest more, then the EAP225 Outdoor is a good choice in the long run.
    • EAP110 Outdoor is more cost-effective. If your budget is limited and you only need to cover a relatively small outdoor area with basic wireless access requirements, the EAP110 Outdoor can meet your needs at a lower cost.
  3. Ease of setup:
    • Both models are relatively easy to set up for users with basic network knowledge. However, the EAP225 Outdoor may have more options and settings during the configuration process, which requires a certain degree of understanding of network settings. The EAP110 Outdoor has a simpler interface and fewer settings, so it may be easier to set up for beginners.

Regarding using the same WiFi name (SSID) as the indoor mesh system, in theory, you can set the SSID of the outdoor access point to be the same as that of the Deco M5. This can make the transition between the indoor and outdoor networks more seamless for users.  And as mentioned earlier, although they can be used together, the Deco M5 and the EAP outdoor access points are separate systems and cannot form a unified mesh network.

Options
Wednesday

@Vincent-TP

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply.

I'm only looking to provide coverage over a relatively small area on my upper roof terrace which is only 25 square meters so I may go for the basic model. 

Michael

Options
Wednesday

@MR.S 

Thank you for your reply.

Why do you say don't buy the EAP110?  I'm only looking to provide coverage over a small 25 square meter area so would the EAP110 not be sufficient and cost effective?

I'm also not very tech savy so a simple set up is an important factor.

Thanks.

Michae;

Options
Wednesday

@MichaelMesh123 

the biggest reason not to buy the EAP110 is that it doesn't have a 5 Ghz band. only 2.4 Ghz. this band is very poor and with a lot of interference and is really only suitable for IoT devices. so my opinion is that you will have a bad user experience with this access point.

configuration is quite similar on all access points.

Options
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday

@MR.SWow. I didn't realise that until you pointed it out. Thank you. I would be using it for iPhone, iPad, laptop and for linking up my security cameras. Nothing too fancy.

Options
Wednesday

@MichaelMesh123 

EAP225-Outdoor is probably the lowest I would have. it has Wifi5 (ac) same as deco M5 one of my kids has these and they work quite well. I myself use the EAP625-Outdoor HD outside and they are absolutely insanely good. but they are a bit more expensive.

Options