TP-Link Unmanaged Switch Issues with Cable Internet

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-12-22 21:53:17
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-SG1008

Hardware Version : V7

Firmware Version :

ISP : Charter

I have a hard-wired home network (no wireless). We recently switched from DSL to cable internet. I had been running a DSL modem for years in conjunction with another brand of unmanaged switch. This switch routed the internet signal to 3 computers, a printer, and sometimes a laptop without issue. After cable internet was installed, I continued to try to use my original unmanaged switch, but it would not work. When the cable modem was connected directly to my PC, it worked flawlessly, but when I tired to use is through the switch, I could not connect to the internet on any of the PCs. A technician was sent to my house and could not get it to work. He suggested buying another switch/router.

I bought the TP-Link TL-SG1008 unmanaged switch. Once I received it, I replaced my old switch and could still not get internet. Of course, when I hooked the cable modem directly to my PC again, it worked fine. I called Charter technical support and they suggested I contact TP-Link because the cable modem was working perfectly.

I am confused because I thought a new switch would just work automatically. I tried all the powering down and powering up combinations. The cable modem is lit correctly (four solid green lights with one flashing green light). I am getting green lights next to each active port on the switch as well.

Can anyone help me? This is getting frustrating. I really need to get this resolved before Christmas as one of our Christmas gifts to one of our kids is a Netflix subscription (she is addicted to movies). Thanks!
Options
1 Reply
Re:TP-Link Unmanaged Switch Issues with Cable Internet
2015-01-06 10:29:46
The swtich has no routing feature. You need a router to work with the cable modem instead of a switch.
Options