LAN to LAN VPN with 2 TL-ER6020

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-10 01:31:50 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:51:16
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-ER6020

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.1.0 Build 20150416 Rel.35252

ISP :

Hello All,

I'm having difficulty accessing computers located on the other LANs. It seems as though the IPSec VPN is established and the LANs are connected, as I can ping and tracert to the opposite LAN from each location, and I can even ping and tracert to the computer that I am trying to connect to. I am, however, unable to access a shared drive on our main server-type computer.

One location has 7 computers (6 Windows 7 computers and 1 Mac) that are all able to access files on the one server-type computer. The other location has only one computer (Windows 7), which needs to access the LAN in the other location. I have been able to connect the two routers together using LAN-to-LAN IPSec, and Client-to-LAN IPSec, but have not been able to successfully access any of the files located on the one computer. I tried mapping to a shared drive, and actually saw the drive and folders located on it from the remote location, but it never mounted and quickly failed to remain connected through Windows. I could still ping that computer that I was trying to connect to through the remote location though.

I'm sure that it is an issue with how I have my LANs set up and the settings on the IPSec Policy with the subnets. Originally, the larger network was set to LAN 192.168.5.0 (255.255.255.0) 192.168.5.0/24, and the other location, which has an extensive wireless network was set to LAN 192.168.0.0 (255.255.254.0) 192.168.0.0/23 when it temporarily connected, but I have not been able to reconnect.

I'm trying to go back and reset all LANs to 172.168.0.0 (255.255.0.0) 172.168.0.0/16 to see if that will work.

On a related matter, I had setup PPTP with the larger network so that I could remote in from home. I was able to remote in, but unable to access any of the computers on the LAN. I followed the guidance from TP-Link to set the PPTP address pool to 10.0.0.1-10.0.0.10, which dispatched an address to me of 10.0.0.1 while remotely connected, but this clearly isn't inside the LAN for me to access the computers I need to.

I don't particularly care if the VPN is setup as LAN-to-LAN or Client-to-LAN, as long as I can access the computer in the larger network that has all of my data on it.

Can anyone give me any guidance? I replaced two dissimilar DrayTek routers because I couldn't get the two locations connected, but they would at least allow me to remote in from an external device. Perhaps my static IPs being so close together are the issue. One address is 68.15.207.xxx and the other address is 68.15.207.xxx. (The buildings I am trying to connect are on the same street within line-of-sight of each other)

This VPN has been a headache though, as with the DrayTek routers I could PPTP and access files from home but could not get the two buildings to do the same thing, and with the TP-Link routers I can LAN-to-LAN but not access any files, and PPTP in as well, but cannot access any files either.

What's the simple solution? Thanks for your help!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 496

Replies: 0

Related Articles