Getting R470T to talk to W8970 & MR3420 routers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-24 01:57:21 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:15:06
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all,

I am perplexed trying to set up my R470T load balancing router to do what I need from it, and have spent many hours trying...

BACKGROUND
The installation is for a holiday apartment, which is hundreds of miles away from home. I have lightwave rf hardware installed at the apartment, which I use to manage the electrics remotely (switch off when no one there), and let guests in via two doors upon first entry. That lightwave box requires a permanent internet connection. (It's not really important about the lightwave box, other than to know that I need a permanent internet connection, from one cable.)

At present, I have an ISP supplied standard ADSL router (not TP-LINK), and that connects to the lightwave box. The problem is that sometimes the ADSL link goes out of sync, meaning that I am powerless to control anything remotely, putting me in a sticky position when trying to let guests in. It seems to happen every few months, at random.

Whilst guests are in the apartment, they have free use of wifi/internet via the ADSL connection.

I am configuring the equipment at home, and installing in the apartment in a couple of weeks time.

THE INTENDED SOLUTION
I have purchased the following TP-LINK products:

W8970 ADSL model/router with wifi - this is the primary ADSL connection & AP
MR3420 router with wifi & 3g connection
R470T load balancing router

The intention is to have two broadband inputs (ADSL & 3g) into the R470T, with two wifi APs, with two separate SSIDs. SSID1 is for guest access, and SSID2 is the 3g connection, which I will have connected to a Belkin wifi plug, which allows for a reboot of the whole set-up, as may periodically be required. The MR3420 (with 3g) also provides a second input to the R470T, which will keep the lightwave box fed with an internet connection if the ADSL line fails.

(Incidentally, the W8970 box has a 3g backup capability, but I decided on a separate box so that I could have a separate SSID, as I don't want guests using wifi that's piped via 3g, else I will be a poor man quite quickly! And in addition, if the W8970 box itself failed, I can still operate the remote lightwave box.)

There will be no PC in situ at the apartment, and everything has to just work without any user maintenance, as there won't be anyone there to do it!!

I need DHCP on the W8970 & MR3420, as devices will be be connecting to each independently.

SET-UP SO FAR
I have the W8970 talking to ADSL ok, and pushing out a wifi/internet signal. No issues. Also, the MR3420 is set up and talking to the 3g network, pushing out a wifi signal on a different SSID, also no problems.

I have both inputs configured as WANs 1 & 2 on the R470T. They are dynamic inputs, but think I need them as static (more later).

The R470T is also set up as DHCP server.

R470T is 192.168.0.1
W8970 is 192.168.1.1
MR3420 is 192.168.2.1

For the purposes of set-up, my PC is talking to the DHCP of the R470T.

PROBLEMS
If I connect my PC to each device separately, I can access the admin console without issue. But when I plug together into R470T WAN ports, I can sometimes access both the W8970 & WD3420, but sometimes only one or the other. I can always access the R470T, as that's what the PC is plugged into and has an IP address from its DHCP.

Sometimes, when I power off the units, to simulate a re-boot when installed at the apartment, the R470T does not always reconnect to both the W8970 & MR3420. Sure, if a PC was connected, and I could access the admin console, I could click "obtain" in the WAN port/dynamic config. But, I will not have that luxury. What I think I need here is a static IP address for the W8970 & MR3420. Whenever I create a static IP address, the internet becomes inaccessible. This is the key problem.

I have set up address reservations from the W8970 to R470, using the WAN 1 port MAC address of the R470T (allocated x.1.199) but the IP address obtained from the W8970 on the R470T is x.1.100, being the first of the DHCP pool. Hence, when I set up a static IP address, internet becomes unavailable.

How can I get a static IP address to be understood by both boxes? (The same issue will apply to the R470T & MR3420.)

Do I need static routes? Maybe this why one or the other of the W8970 or MR3420 admin consoles cannot be accessed.

FURTHER QUESTIONS
Is there any way that I could connect to the admin consoles of some or all three products remotely?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 187

Replies: 0

Related Articles