Point to Point WA7210n with Asus Router on the remote

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Point to Point WA7210n with Asus Router on the remote

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
21 Reply
Re:Point to Point WA7210n with Asus Router on the remote
2015-09-15 09:35:07
The TP link in my Daughter's has IP 192.168.1.201 and has DHCP enabled.

Disable DHCP since TP-link is just in client mode.

Should I connect the TP link to the WAN port instead?

You can have a try, set Asus to router mode, configure its LAN IP to another network segment such as 192.168.0.1, then enable DHCP on Asus
Options
2015-09-15 09:36:18
From my expirience it is the best that there is only one DHCP in one subnet and it is the rule.
Options
2015-09-15 10:27:19
There are two ways to configure the ASUS router when the 7210 in your daught's is working on Client mode with DHCP disable:
1. Set the router on AP mode with DHCP disable;
2. Configure the router on Router mode with DHCP enable but modify the LAN IP of it in another network segment as winstar said.
If one of the two works, please share the result with us.
Options
2015-09-15 18:55:59

stupidbird wrote

If one of the two works, please share the result with us.

Yes, both will work. but with #2 you will be doing double NAT on the Network, as posted on #13
Options
2015-09-16 05:16:21
You are all trying to help and I think I am not giving you the information needed. Sorry.
Anyway, I knew that there should be only one router with DHCP in a network, and what I want is to have the pc's in the other house connected as if they where in my house, sharing folders, printers, etc, so at first I had only the Technicolor (my ISP's Router) giving IP´s, but when logging in with a smartphone for example it took too long for it to have a IP assigned, and timed out. That is why I decided to have another router with DHCP on my daugters house. At first I did that on the Asus, but then by your advice I set that on the TPLink. It seemed to make sense.
I am going to change the fixed IP's as you suggested, to something like 192.168.1.20, 21 and 22. But if i set them to these IP's, will the Technicolor accept the connection of the local TP-LINK, being out of it's pool? I think I forgot to say I set Gateway on the local TP-LINK to the ISP's router IP.
@ winstar: If I disable DHCP in the remote TP-Link, who will assign the IP's?
@
danymarc: If I have double NAT they will act as independent networks, right?
@
stupidbird: I already disbled DHCP on the Asus. It also has something like DHCP forwarder. What is that for?
One thing I still cant understand is why it works in wireless and not in LAN. I thought the ips assignement was the same for both "channels"! My smartpnone manages to get an IP and has internet, the PC in LAN has IP with limited connectivity and no Internet.....
Confusing. I must be seeing something wrong...
Options
2015-09-16 06:20:23
The answer is no, double NAT is wrong on any network
Options
2015-09-16 06:41:48

danymarc wrote

The answer is no, double NAT is wrong on any network

So I must disable all DHCP except on the ISP's Router, and the PC's on the remote TP-LINK will get theit IP's from there, including the asus, right?
Options
2015-09-16 08:04:01

rui tavares wrote

So I must disable all DHCP except on the ISP's Router, and the PC's on the remote TP-LINK will get theit IP's from there, including the asus, right?

no, cause you have all on your network as routers, they are in a dif subnet, so to make it work you will have to set those routers as APs disabling DHCP and setting them on same subnet as main ISP router, and assing a ip to each out of the DHCP pool from ISP router
Options
2015-09-16 10:56:11
In this scenario, double NAT doesn't matter as rui tavares only want to visit the printer in his house.
For the device in his daught's room, the printer is on the WAN side.
Double NAT makes trouble when someone want to visit the LAN resource from WAN port.
And there are solutions. Here's a example from Air Video Forum.
http://www.inmethod.com/forum/posts/list/908.page
Anyway, you have remind me of many details. Thank you.@danymarc
Options
2015-09-16 11:01:23

rui tavares wrote

@
stupidbird: I already disbled DHCP on the Asus. It also has something like DHCP forwarder. What is that for?

In this scenario the APs are forwarders as you mention when the back-end device communicate with the front router(Provided by ISP).
They will transmit the packets in the topology. By all means, the packets consist of DHCP request and offer packets.
You can see it's ASUS router doing this job.
Options
Related Articles