TL-ER604W - VPN, L2TP/IPsec, encryption

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-03-05 07:47:14 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:24
Model : TL-ER604W
Hardware Version : v1.0
Firmware Version : 1.1.0 Build 20141031 Rel.32628s
ISP : Bredbånd Nord (Broadband North) (local danish fiber provider)

Hi all,

OK, I got VPN (L2TP/IPsec) up and running. I'm able to connect to my LAN and all from a remote location. All seems to work just fine..

BUT....
Since I'm no VPN guru I don't know if I did everything correctly - That's where you guys come in ;)
I followed this guide (the Client to LAN part of it, anyway).

I would like to be able to establish a secure connection from "anywhere in the world" (where it's possible to connect via an L2TP/IPsec VPN connection) to my LAN using Laptops, Smart Phones and Tablets (not site to site, yet). I want the connection to be as secure as possible using my TL-ER604W Router.
Don't I have to specify any encryption methods for IPsec?? - According to this fine article IPsec "just" provides the mechanism NOT the method to establish a secure connection.

Here's what I have (highlights):
4 different IKE Proposals saved in one IKE Policy [Main mode] (high encryption first, low encryption last) - Is this a good thing??
[*] Enabled Encryption under "L2TP/PPTP Tunnel".
[*] Enabled IPsec.

What about the different IP-ranges, all the different encryption methods etc.

I know this is a lot to ask (to teach me about VPN's) - I just need this to work the right way.

Please see this thread for further info about my current setup.

Kind regards
Options
2 Reply
Re:TL-ER604W - VPN, L2TP/IPsec, encryption
2016-03-28 16:53:20 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:24
If you use L2TP/IPsec VPN in TP-LINK router, you need not to specify any encryption methods for IPsec. The system will use the default one to encrypt the L2TP tunnel.
Options
IPsec algorithms
2016-10-11 15:19:09 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:24
Since I don't have to specify which algorithms my IPsec encryption should be using (client-server) - Which algorithms does the TL-ER604W accept?
I would like to disable the "low security" ones..

Please see this document (from Microsoft) - It talks a bit about the different methods.

Kind regards
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1098

Replies: 2