TL-SG108E Feature Request: Add descriptions to ports

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-10-12 17:03:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello all,
I've just received my TL-SG108E switch and it looks like a solid build. The management interface is simple, but allows you to do basic management on it.

If I deploy several of these switches I have a problem keeping track of what is installed on each port. LLDP would be nice, but I understand it's too difficult to implement on entry-level switches, so I'm (kindly) asking if you can add a text label to serve as a description next to each port. Using it a network admistrator can keep track of what is connected to each port and management would be faster.

You should display this label in Switching -> Port Setting, Monitoring -> Port Statistics, Monitoring -> Port Mirroring, Monitoring -> Cable test, VLAN -> 802.1Q VLAN, VLAN -> 802.1Q VLAN PVID Settings, QoS -> QoS Basic/Bandwidth Control/Storm Control

It should not be a difficult addition to make, since it involves only the web interface, so please take it into advise.

If this is not the place to suggest feature requests, please point me in the right direction.

Thank you.
Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-SG108E Feature Request: Add descriptions to ports
2016-10-27 09:10:26
I think this may be a suggestion, but considering the limited resource of this Easy Smart Swtich and the space of the Config Utility, I don't think TP-LINK will change their design. Anyway, I think this function is only the icing on the cake.
Options
2016-10-27 17:10:20
I'm not sure how much nvram the switch has internally, but if you have 8 ports and limit the description to 80 characters you get 640 bytes used. Typically NVRAMs come in sizes of 8, 16, 32, 64, 128KB, so 600 bytes of configuration may not be significant if the NVRAM is not tiny.

As I said, the feature is nice even in a home environment when you have a bundle of cables and don't know where they go, or if you are not physically next to the switch and want to turn off a specific port, but you don't know what the port number is.
Options
TL SG108E Feature Request Add descriptions to
2016-12-11 20:30:34
A big 1 for this. 5 ports aint much but remembering what is plugged where can be a challenge.
Options
2016-12-30 01:10:44
PLEASE add this! Would be immensely helpful.
Options
2020-12-26 13:14:47

Being able to add a description per port would be very useful and greatly appreciated.

Options