CPE520 Setup Signal Strength

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-12-01 16:19:26
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi all

Please excuse anything I do wrong as I am a newbie and have never posted on any forum before
I am assisting a friend on a remote cattle station in outback Australia and have an issue with setup of a PtP connection with 2 CPE520’s
Before embarking on this project I read this forum for 3 months and believe I now have a basic understanding of what is required to setup the link over 6.4km
I have a basic-good understanding of networking etc
I understand the Fresnel zone and at 6.5Km the required additional height to mount the CPE520’s needs to be approx. 0.5-0.75 metres – assuming flat ground
The AP was mounted on a purpose built bracket on top of a shed in the homestead compound at approx. 9 metres above the ground (Point A)
As an initial test I set up the client at 1km (at 2 metres high) with direct Line of Sight
It connected after the survey and I locked onto the AP with an excellent signal strength after adjusting the distance and power parameters etc
I then moved the client to the 6.4km site
It was attached to another purpose built bracket mounted on an old windmill structure at approx. 4.5 metres high (Point B)
Alignment to the AP was made using GPS bearings – I am very confident with the alignment
After setting the distance at 110% (per documentation) when I surveyed the AP I got a signal within 5 seconds and locked onto the AP
I then tried to improve the signal by altering power / channel etc
No matter what I tired I could not improve the signal strength
I have attached a Altitude Map from Google Earth Pro of the topology between the 2 sites
Note Point A is at 85m + 9m mounting = 94m
Point B is at 90M +4.5M mounting = 94.5m

The highpoint between them is 91 metres
Does anybody have any suggestions what I need to do to improve signal strength or am I fighting a losing battle with the setup / topology as it is?
The fact the client locked onto the AP very quickly hopefully is good news
Options
9 Reply
Re:CPE520 Setup Signal Strength
2016-12-05 01:28:21
You have a fresnel zone block on the 91 mts high point
Need to go way higher
Locking quickly means nothing
For that distance should had chosen WBS510 not CPEs
Options
2016-12-05 17:18:47
Thanks danymarc - I was hoping that was not going to be the answer - but I understand - if I used WBS510 mounted say 2 metres higher with a sector antenna would that be enough or do I need to increase the height of the client a similar height?
Options
2016-12-07 08:37:42

RJG wrote

Thanks danymarc - I was hoping that was not going to be the answer - but I understand - if I used WBS510 mounted say 2 metres higher with a sector antenna would that be enough or do I need to increase the height of the client a similar height?

A line of sight is not equal to a free fresnel zone .... there is much difference ...

According to the data provided by you, the line of sight passes over the obstacle marked with 91 mts of height making a quick calculation, only 3.3 mts ... the FREE radius, fresnel required area is 9.2 mts, which indicates that the Obstruction occupies more than 70% of the first fresnel zone ... should consider raising the source and destination points in minimum 10 Mts more on what is already installed ...

Another factor to consider is the choice of equipment, although the datasheet says that it can link up to 20km, I do not augur more than 5km in ideal conditions .... you should first try to raise the equipment much more, to determine if You can get a stable connection ..

Also consider the amount of Mbps to go through the link that for that distance will not be much ...

In this case consider changing equipment ...

Regards...

Options
2016-12-07 18:22:19
Thanks Victor - gives me a much better understanding - I will now use some online Fresnel calculators

to hopefully get around this issue I have found another point "C" that is 8.4 km from point A and 3.2km from point "B" but at 95m altitude

we can install an old windmill tower there at about 6 metres (antenna therefore mounted at 101m) with no obstructions to either point A or C (highest point between is 90m)

like I said I will use online Fresnel zone to make sure this is enough height

my real question is what type of equipment do I need to get the 8.4km - WBS510 with Sector Antenna or do I need a dish? (noting your comments re the 5km range)

and finally in the "real" world what do you believe are max realistic distances for the 5Ghz Dish, Sector and CPE 520 to operate at - the client sites may only have 3 pieces of equipment - wifi camera wifi water tank depth indicator and wifi flow meter - so bandwidth and speed are not the priority (the plan is to use CPE210 as an AP at each site hard wired connected to the CPE520 client)

Regards

RJG
Options
2016-12-08 02:19:20
alternatively you may use this tool made possible using GoogleMaps, https://airlink.ubnt.com, which i find really suitable for such pre-considerations. Hope it helps (it did in my case), along with GoogleEarth Pro's Viewshed excellent feature :)
Now serving finite customer via f(x)=AirTime/∞ on the 5Ghz band :-/
Options
2016-12-08 02:36:57

RJG wrote

I used WBS510 mounted say 2 metres higher with a sector antenna would that be enough

not a sector a Dish antenna
and not 2 mts. at least 6
Options
2016-12-08 12:43:25
Thanks - I have been using the very basic tools in Google Earth pro - this link will help a lot
Options
2016-12-08 20:20:22

RJG wrote

Thanks Victor - I have found another point "C" that is 8.4 km from point A and 3.2km from point "B" but at 95m altitude RJG

1.- if for you it is feasible to triangulate, or to use alternative points making leaps to achieve the connection would be great .... but first you must determine if with the current location and the solution planted, you can do the comnexion ... Consider that triangular raise your costs for energy issues and you need energy at the intermediate points ...

[QUOTE=RJG;191565]Thanks Victor - we can install an old windmill tower there at about 6 metres (antenna therefore mounted at 101m) with no obstructions to either point A or C (highest point between is 90m) like I said I will use online Fresnel zone to make sure this is enough heigh RJG[/QUOTE
2.- The height to be used for the equipment depends on the calculations of the fresnel zone, remember to add an additional safety margin of at least 20%

[QUOTE=RJG;191565]my real question is what type of equipment do I need to get the 8.4km - WBS510 with Sector Antenna or do I need a dish? (noting your comments re the 5km range) RJG[/QUOTE
3.- For a long distance connection you will need to place dishes, these to ensure a stable point-to-point connection at long distances, the use of sectorial is for multi-point point conexions and smaller distances This answer goes hand in hand with the first ... before making an unnecessary purchase of equipment, try to raise the points origin destination ...

[QUOTE=RJG;191565]and finally in the "real" world what do you believe are max realistic distances for the 5Ghz Dish, Sector and CPE 520 to operate atite hard wired connected to the CPE520 client)
RJG[/QUOTE
4.- "TEORICAL" a WBS510 with antenna dish could assure a connection of more than 30km, clear depending on the bandwidth to pass and the conditions of the environment (LoS, Fresnel, Noise)...
This answer goes hand in hand with the first ... before making an unnecessary purchase of equipment, try to raise the points origin destination ...

[QUOTE=RJG;191565]the client sites may only have 3 pieces of equipment - wifi camera wifi water tank depth indicator and wifi flow meter - so bandwidth and speed are not the priority (the plan is to use CPE210 as an AP at each site hard wired connected to the CPE520 client)
RJG[/QUOTE
5.- the scheme is possible... Should consider the distance of the equipment to be connected to the 210 and also the opening beam of which will behave as a small sectorial of 45 ° ...

Regards
Options
2018-06-20 19:18:46
well its been 18 months since I last posted but I now have a simple network up and running but need some help with fine tuning it to get the best results

I have been testing for 6 months with passable results so far

I have attached a basic network plan (with link distances) and screenshots from the 6 CPE's in the network 3 x 5ghz and 3 x 2.4ghz

I am looking for advice to improve the signal quality /strength etc

The network has been set up to collect data from RS485 equipment located over the cattle station

The network so far is proof of concept - eventually the plan is to collect data from up to 60 km away (via a number of towers)

all data is collected by a computer in the house

note I am aware of the Fresnel zone issues and have mounted all CPEs at appropriate heights (9-10+metres where required mostly on old windmill towers after using google earth and Fresnel zone calculators etc)

Also note the landscape is mostly rolling sandhills and there are no interference issues from other Wifi's as the nearest neighbours are 50-75 km away!!
File:
house210.pdfDownload
NewBore520.pdfDownload
rfds520.pdfDownload
shed210.pdfDownload
shed520.pdfDownload
woolshed220.pdfDownload
wifi_Setup.pdfDownload
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1629