How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?

2017-07-31 20:07:45 - last edited 2021-05-17 02:07:01

Deco supports Access Point mode with latest firmware and APP version.

Please refer to the FAQ link for how to set up Deco in AP mode:
http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1842.html

Options
53 Reply
Re:How to set up Deco to work in Access Point mode?
2017-08-01 23:57:20
In the above referenced FAQ Note 5 says; Ethernet Backhaul could still take effect in AP mode. What does this even mean? Ethernet backhaul might work but you're not sure?
Options
2017-08-02 12:05:35
Thanks for your feedback.
It's an error in the description. Have corrected.
Options
2017-08-04 18:19:55
FAQ needs a few more details to fully cover the steps:

To add the second and third Decos to the Network, follow the app instructions, but do it via WiFi only (nothing connected to the ethernet ports) and in their target locations. It will prompt to update the firmware for each unit, let it do that.

Once both secondary Decos are enrolled, then power each down and connect the wired backhaul Ethernet to the units. On power-up, they will blink Yellow, then red, then after a bit Green.

Powering down after the enrollment over WiFi to connect the Ethernet is key. Just plugging in the ethernet is hit-or-miss.
Options
2017-08-11 06:47:36
Did Advanced|Working Mode to enable Access Point mode get disabled or moved to another menu location since the FAQ and latest firmware upgrade/app store release?

I just upgrade to Version 1.2.9 and upgraded my Deco firmware to 1.1.1 Build 20170614 (I am looking at the Deco post-upgrade and it correctly shows this build installed, Rel. 66381). But when I follow the FAQ instructions you provided and go to Settings|Advanced, there is no "Working Mode" menu entry. Plus the menu entry order shown differs from your screenshot, below "Notifications" the entries are in order, "TP-Link DDNS", "Port Forwarding", "Address Reservation" (they are shown in reverse of that order following "Working Mode" in the FAQ image)

Did the new Access Point feature get rolled back for some reason? Did it get moved to a new spot?

Thanks
Options
Best Practices / Preferred configuration
2017-08-12 01:54:58
Are there best practices or recommended router configuration for when Deco is configured in AP mode? I have nothing by TP-Link network products in my home (Archer C7 router, powerline adapters, etc.).
Is it recommended to use the same SSID as your primary router or disable it?
[*]Is Ethernet backhaul via TP-Link powerline adapters and switches supported?

[*]I realize this defeats the purpose of Deco to some degree, but I get terrible coverage in my basement office and it's not all devices can be plugged into an Ethernet port

[*]Is there any intent to converge functionality so that all of my TP-Link devices can be managed with a single app?
Thanks.
Options
2017-08-12 12:30:11

loomans wrote

Did Advanced|Working Mode to enable Access Point mode get disabled or moved to another menu location since the FAQ and latest firmware upgrade/app store release?

I just upgrade to Version 1.2.9 and upgraded my Deco firmware to 1.1.1 Build 20170614 (I am looking at the Deco post-upgrade and it correctly shows this build installed, Rel. 66381). But when I follow the FAQ instructions you provided and go to Settings|Advanced, there is no "Working Mode" menu entry. Plus the menu entry order shown differs from your screenshot, below "Notifications" the entries are in order, "TP-Link DDNS", "Port Forwarding", "Address Reservation" (they are shown in reverse of that order following "Working Mode" in the FAQ image)

Did the new Access Point feature get rolled back for some reason? Did it get moved to a new spot?

Thanks

I have the same issue. Same version of app and firmware.
Options
2017-08-14 06:08:23
Same issue here.. Updated app and the firmware to the point where it won't offer any further updates. Rebooted all equipment... still no 'Working Mode' option. Please help.
Options
2017-08-14 06:25:01
Deco android app version: 1.2.5
Firmware version on all Deco nodes: 1.1.1 Build 20170614 Rel. 66381
It won't detect any app or firmware updates beyond what I listed above.
There is no option under the advanced menu for 'Working Mode'.
I bought two sets of these devices hoping one of them would work with AP mode. I'm beyond discouraged.
Options
2017-08-15 16:16:47
Hi guys, a new firmware was released. You can update to the new firmware to have access point mode.
Options
2017-08-19 03:57:43
So, the firmware did indeed get me into the access point mode that I thought should've been on the devices already. So I configured for AP...then I suddenly started getting frequent network drops every 45 to 90 seconds.
I thought maybe providing ethernet backhaul might help so put 3 of the 6 nodes (I bought two sets of the M5) on ethernet backhaul. This somehow created a new network and knocked 2 nodes completely offline.
I reset all nodes, reconfigured everything from scratch, updated the firmware, configured for AP... same results. Fractured network and frequent network drops.
I've put over 20 hours into this project trying to get my Montessori school's wifi going. I get the feeling that I signed up for a beta test but paid full price for the products. I'm frustrated and frankly just ready to throw all devices that have the words TP-LINK anywhere on them in the garbage. But, I'll digress. I'm going to box them up, hopefully get a full refund then buy some Ubiquity equipment like I should've done from the start. Nuff said.
Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 29501

Replies: 53

Related Articles