Logo Size on captive Portal on SDN Controller [Solved]

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2020-08-17 19:59:26 - last edited 2020-08-19 14:30:26
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Latest

I read that there is a bug that has been re-introduced where the logo size for the portal login page is restricted to 100 x 100 pixels. While this is expected to be resolved in next release of the SDN controller, is there some workaround to allow little bigger picture of say 150 x 150, if not 200 x 200 pixels?

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Logo Size on captive Portal on SDN Controller-Solution
2020-08-18 21:50:32 - last edited 2020-08-19 14:30:00

@dpsguard,

again: this effect is caused by the 1:1 aspect ratio.

The logo canvas is 379 x 174px (including upper/middle/lower logo positions). CSS styles the Google logo which has been shrinked to 123 x 123px natural size to 95 x 95px on my display:

The result is this logo on the portal page:

Without 1:1 aspect ratio it would look like this (252 x 95px on my screen resolution):

Note that directly after the welcome message another canvas starts, the one for the login button(s) which can have more buttons and input fields as shown above. This canvas determines the max. height of the canvas for the logo. You can't change the height of the logo canvas (and never could do so in previous versions of Omada Controller).

If you don't like this layout, you can either use an external portal which allows you to freely design a portal page or you can create an own portal page as a template and upload it to the controller. But for the latter the provided sample template unfortunately doesn't (yet) work.

༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Recommended Solution
Options
12 Reply
Re:Logo Size on captive Portal on SDN Controller
2020-08-18 12:59:55 - last edited 2020-08-18 13:04:45

Hi dpsguard,

it's the logo's aspect ratio which has been set to 1:1 again and transparency is not working, but this has nothing to do with the dimensions of the logo.

The dimension of the logo on the portal page is given by the height of the canvas which might be 100 pixels depending on the screen resolution of your device. Due to the 1:1 cropping the logo then appears as 100x100 pixels. But if you want, you can upload a 597x796 pixels image, which then will be cropped (aspect ratio) and shrinked (resized) to the canvas size. This means you still see all objects visible in the original image, now cropped to 597x597 pixels, but it has been resized to fit into the canvas.

The only limit imposed for logos is a 2MB file size limit.

The aspect ratio/transparency bug has been reported already and is expected to be fixed in next version according to TP-Link support.

Options
2020-08-18 20:11:30

Thanks R1D2 

This is not what I find at my end. The logo picture despite whatever original pixel size I have, remains at max the same size as the default small 100x 100 tplink logo. here is a sample. I will like to see the size bit bigger than this and I will have the logo in a 1:1 aspect ratio organized, but the size that is allwoed is small. Maybe I framed my question wrong, but my issue is that the logo is small even when seen on the phone.

Options
Re:Logo Size on captive Portal on SDN Controller-Solution
2020-08-18 21:50:32 - last edited 2020-08-19 14:30:00

@dpsguard,

again: this effect is caused by the 1:1 aspect ratio.

The logo canvas is 379 x 174px (including upper/middle/lower logo positions). CSS styles the Google logo which has been shrinked to 123 x 123px natural size to 95 x 95px on my display:

The result is this logo on the portal page:

Without 1:1 aspect ratio it would look like this (252 x 95px on my screen resolution):

Note that directly after the welcome message another canvas starts, the one for the login button(s) which can have more buttons and input fields as shown above. This canvas determines the max. height of the canvas for the logo. You can't change the height of the logo canvas (and never could do so in previous versions of Omada Controller).

If you don't like this layout, you can either use an external portal which allows you to freely design a portal page or you can create an own portal page as a template and upload it to the controller. But for the latter the provided sample template unfortunately doesn't (yet) work.

Recommended Solution
Options
2020-08-19 00:32:52

Thanks R1D2.

So with height fixed, and aspect ratio messed up in the SDN controller, we need to wait for tp-link to fix this code. I dont have the luxury to use an external server, and I need to leverage the built-in portal page. Hopefully this is an easy fix and they will resolve it sometime very soon.

I looked at the provided template and there is really nothing in there. Can you share some working code from an older version that can then be edited and uploaded back into?  I just need acceptence of terms and with username / password fields suppressed. Or will this again be constrained by the aspect ratio issues in the code parsing the html uploaded to the controller? I have no knowledge of html or in general coding, so I cannot fully understand the severity of this issue that is causing tp-link to not be able to resolve it in a day or rather an hour once this was brought to their attention. Yes, I have worked with some product developers in the past, where issues were resolved in hours and here I see that this has been going on for more than a month.

Options
2020-08-19 06:58:05 - last edited 2020-08-19 06:59:16

dpsguard wrote

Hopefully this is an easy fix and they will resolve it sometime very soon.

In my opinion features like cropping and resizing images do not belong to an AP controller at all. If I need to crop or resize an image to fit on a web page, I use an image manipulation program. For proper display of images the web browser of the appropriate device does the rest.

Can you share some working code from an older version that can then be edited and uploaded back into?

Uploading templates is a new feature introduced with SDN Controller, it wasn't available before. Thus, I don't have a template for it. For several reasons we use our own Captive Portal running on a gateway router and use the Omada portal only at few customer's sites who demand authentication methods our portal software intentionally doesn't provide (such as Facebook logins or vouchers).

I cannot fully understand the severity of this issue that is causing tp-link to not be able to resolve it in a day or rather an hour once this was brought to their attention.

With the effort to support an entire ecosystem (Omada routers, Omada switches, Omada EAPs, HW controllers, SW controllers, Linux platforms, Windows platform), you can't just modify, recompile, package and publish a software on hundreds of different regional websites, especially when the controller software is a free giveaway. The testing alone is a huge effort and costs much time. If I change something in our own gateway firmware, tests require several weeks including tests in the field at beta-tester's sites and I have to support only half a dozen different hardwares. When EAPs/CAPs have been introduced long time ago as Auranet APs there even was no controller available at all for EAPs, only a hardware controller (AC50/500) for CAPs, now a separate product line.

Options
2020-08-19 13:09:49

Thanks again, but with only a single AP per site, pluged directy into ISP router, and multiple such sites, does not allow putting in a gateway at each site and is cost prohibitive in a free srevices setup. No one is looking to resize and manipulate the image inside the controller and I did all that outside before importing in. We also understand that wireless controller is supposed to be a network device and not a webserver, and I agree with you on all these points, but I was not looking for a free softrware, and they have been talking about availability of a paid / subscription based cloud controller for a year now, just like OC300 has been said to be availble for two years but nothing made available so far, not even a mention of the pricing You end up selecting the product, buy it and then you find that you have these logo issues.

Options
2020-08-19 13:37:05

dpsguard wrote

and they have been talking about availability of a paid / subscription based cloud controller for a year now, just like OC300 has been said to be availble for two years

Where has who said OC300 will be availabe two years ago? Please indicate the source.

Options
2020-08-19 14:12:28

Sorry, I cannot disclose my sources at Tp-link sales :)

There is documentation available at various places on the internet that even had a manual for OC300 dated early 2019 and product guide had mention as well. But they somehow would have changed plans few times and then marketing would have wanted it to club with the SDN controller's availability.

Options
2020-08-19 14:23:07 - last edited 2020-08-19 14:25:23

dpsguard wrote

Sorry, I cannot disclose my sources at Tp-link sales :)

Ok, but I can.

OC300 was first mentioned in the SMB Product Catalog June 2019 as »scheduled to be released in Q4/2019«, not as »available in 2018«:

Still nothing about a paid / subscription based cloud controller and of course no announcement of Corona lockdown, which delayed the release of all SDN products.

BTW: my company runs a native cloud controller since 2017 in case you want to pay us for hosting your EAP sites. :-)

Options
2020-08-19 14:29:37

Yes, before the items got into product documents, someone can tell you that it is coming.That is what I meant that we knew about this a while ago. As to the hosted cloud services, Tplink cloud controller is supposed to be a separate product and will have some features that will not be avilable in free one. I also can host the free one at AWS, but I wont have the features that I was looking for. I cannot state what all features will be available and let us wait another month or two.

I will figure out a way to host my captive portal on an external webserver to resolve the logo issues.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 3564

Replies: 12

Related Articles