TP Link EAP 245 Multi AP Configuration V2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP Link EAP 245 Multi AP Configuration V2

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
18 Reply
Re:TP Link EAP 245 Multi AP Configuration V2
2021-07-11 10:45:51

@Philbert 

Hello Philbert,

Trust all is well. 

Thank you so much for sharing the info for me, really appreciate the assistance. 

I am in the process of setting up all the items. 

I updated the firmware on the OC200 and implementing the recommendations you provided.

I let you know and provide some feedback once done on my side. 

Thank you again so much for all the assistance. 

Kind Regards 

Options
2021-07-11 22:29:12

@Blade2946 

Hey

Not a hassle, more than glad to be of help! 

Options
2021-07-19 09:21:58

@Philbert 

Hello Phill,

Trust all is well. 

I finally deployed everything and it works great.

I also ordered a replacement router.

I don't think it works with the OC200 but should still be sufficient for home use.

I am replacing my old Asus Internet router with a AX3000 "Archer AX50".

I am replacing the router as every now and again I have to reboot my router as it looses connection to Internet.

It states that it connected, but internet connection fails on all devices. 

The ISP informed me the issue is with the Router, not sure I believe this, but hey an upgrade cant hurt. 

The replacement model I chose is way more than what I need, as we only run 100MB Fiber up + down. 

Was wondering what your take is on the router model? 

Thank you again as always for your assistance.

Kind Regards 

Options
2021-07-19 10:11:05

@Blade2946 

Hey

No worries, used the AX50 a few times and its a reasonably good router but likely overkill for what you need.   The advantage of the AX50 is the WiFi6 support, but as you say it wont work with the Omada and therefore wont roam seamlessly.   You likely could have went with a cheaper model as the WiFi isn't a seller, that aside its a good router.

Are you still considering disabling the SSID on the router and using only the Omada? 

In terms of a router, its a rock solid choice.  For home use never had an issue with the 50

Options
2021-07-19 13:03:51

@Philbert 

Hello Phill,

Thank you kindly for the reply. 

Yes I already disabled Wifi on the router and now only make use of the OC 200.

I ordered and installed an additional EAP 265, in the room where we work, since the router wifi is disabled. 

Appolgies if I repeat, as I cant remmber if I shared it, but I enrolled the OC 200 to my TP link online ID.

Is was kind of cool to see how the automatic firmware upgrades work. 

I set the advance features for Connection Threashold, Differance Threashold and Max Failures the same as you posted 40, 8 and 10. 

I was aware that the Firmware was outdated on my EAP 265's but was very surprised to lean how much, up until last night bewfore the updates it was still running version 1.00.

The upgraded to version 5.1X. 

So it was ancient so likley the EAP 265 is an older product. 

Kind Regards 

Options
2021-07-19 13:10:42

@Blade2946 

Hey

Glad this is working well for you!  Yeah you will find the mix of OC200 and EAPs to be a much improved experience over the normal home grade wifi, even the portal on the OC200 is a nice touch

In relation to the EAP265, its not a particularly old device, they only got released about 18months ago (if memory serves correctly).  However, the firmware did jump massively from v2.x to v5.x (skipping 3 and 4) when the new SDN came out, no idea why they did this but it does look worse than it is  :)

As always, any queries happy to help when I can! 

Options
2021-09-15 08:45:41

@Philbert 

Hello Phil,

Trust all is well. 

As always I can never thank you enough for your assistance. 

I noticed a setting I may have missed on the OC200.

When I look under client config, I see the option to apply rate limits and fixed IP address.

It states that the option is only available if the gateway acts as a DHCP server.

I assume I need to match the Vlan on the OC200 to the range of the AX50.

I did not set that as I thought this is only when you add an intelligent switch for when you need to make use of vlan's.

I applied the static network settings for the OC200 to match my internal range. 

Apologies if the references are incorrect, I attached a word doc with a few screen prints. 

I am actually trying to work out what amount of speed is the minimum required for web browsing and making use of messaging platforms and social media. 

Thank you kindly in advance for the assistance. 

File:
Doc1.docxDownload
Options
2021-09-15 14:27:58

@Blade2946 

Hey

Not a problem, always glad to be of help! 

So yes that setting requires the gateway to be the source of the DHCP leases, unfortunately in your case you don't have a gateway to do this.   When it is referring to a gateway it means a Edge Router Gateway, something like the ER605 (that what I use).   The AX50 is a modem router, technically not a gateway.

The difference is a gateway is it can be controlled by the OC200 controller, therefore you can set specific restrictions for specific devices / or all devices in one action.     A standard router doesn't do that, it just applies restrictions to all devices regardless.  What you are looking at is a business-grade function and not home grade, therefore the AX wont support it.

I assume I need to match the Vlan on the OC200 to the range of the AX50.

It sadly wont matter as the device is a different grade of hardware, the two wont talk to exchange this info.

I did not set that as I thought this is only when you add an intelligent switch for when you need to make use of vlan's.

Every router has at least one VLAN, on your AX50 its likely VLAN0, but you will never be able to tell as its not configurable on home devices.   On a Gateway router like the ER605 all VLANs are configurable as you feel necessary and can have many of them.    VLANs do require a Gateway and Switch to work properly, in Omada the Gateway sets up the VLANs and the router just trunks the data around as told to do so.

If you think this is the way you want to go to restrict traffic, you would need to invest in an ER605 ($70 £50) and if you felt like it some switch (SG2008P would be a good choice).   All together around £130 / $160US...  the ER605 would connect to your AX50 for web access, everything else is controlled by the controller via the SDN.

Networking can be expensive, but addictive :)

Options
Related Articles