IP ping bilateral transmission

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-25 18:24:02
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.1.1 Build 20210723 Rel.64608
hi, I hope that someone will help me. Is a strange Question. My network works correctly separating the IPs of the WAN (which is 
in truth the main LAN) from a SUB-LAN, if I ping the addresses in the WAN from the LAN side everything works fine, I reach and manage the devices. But if I'm on the WAN side and I try to reach the devices it doesn't work. This is obvious because normally it should work just like that ... but if I want to reach the LAN from the WAN, is there a way?
I'm not talking about using NAT, I ask you if there is a more "transparent" way for the network that is connected to the WAN port to reach the devices on the LAN. In essence, it is about breaking the broadcast domain between two networks, leaving the devices to talk to each other anyway. 
Is there another TPlink device I have to use? something like TL-SG3428, using VLAN ... but I know as creat the VLAN, but I don't know how reach the goal to permit a communication between them... 
It someone that can solve this incredible (for me) trouble?
Options
1 Reply
Re:IP ping bilateral transmission
2022-06-07 02:18:43

@LoneHawk 

by default, a router is a nat. doing the nat. If you don't know what is a nat, please refer to the wikipedia. 

from what you described, it is a normal result. you can ping wan because your router is translating and forward the traffic. your local ip is using the identity of your wan ip to access the ping-ed ip address

while, when you access from the wan, you need to type in your wan ip. if you want to be directed to a certain server or localhost, you need port forwarding. 

anyway you need a port for whatever service you need. 

a regular er605 has the attack defense settings. you can block ping from the wan. but you should not ping a local ip address while you are on the internet. 

since the ipv4 devloped, ips have been assigned and divided. unless you have ipv6 which has imroved the limits you have on ipv4. 

ScReW yOu gUyS. I aM GOinG hoMe. —————————————————————— For heaven's sake, can you write and describe your issue based on plain fact, common logic and a methodologic approach? Appreciate it.
Options