Cannot adopt ER605 (SOLVED...)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-07 09:11:15 - last edited 2022-06-07 14:08:00
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

So, got my new ER605 today, followed the setup guide here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3148/

Set the IP address of the ER605 LAN in stand alone mode to be the same as my existing subnet, then plugged into the network.

The controller sees the ER605, click Adopt and get the error "Adoption failed, username and password incorrect"

Genius !

When you first login to the ER605 in stand alone mode, it forces you to set a new admin username/password. The password must be at least 6 characters long.

A quick web search reveals the the default username/password is admin/admin.., so it is now IMPOSSIBLE to change the username/password back to admin/admin.

So what now ?

@Fae Any Help ?

Options
2 Reply
Re:Cannot adopt ER605
2022-06-07 13:48:16 - last edited 2022-06-07 13:51:56

@Tescophil 

So, short story, got everything working and its all good...

However, long story...

PROBLEM:

This is all about how to adopt a new Omada gateway into an existing network that is NOT on the factory default network of 192.168.0.1/24

My main LAN is on 192.168.10.1/24, I did have all my Omada devices setup on a Management VLAN (192.168.200.1/24). In anticipation of problems with this (i.e. The official line is that "The Omada gateway does not support changing of the management VLAN"), I changed all my Omada devices back to the main LAN on 192.168.10.x.

So, the guide published here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3148/ does NOT work. This is because in order to change the default network of the gateway from 192.168.0.1/24 to my current setting of 192.168.10.1/24 you have to attach to the gateway in standalone mode. When making this first connection (with a stand alone laptop), you MUST change the management username/password from admin/admin to something else..., you can keep the username of admin, but the password MUST be 6 characters or more.

Fine, password changed, network LAN set to 192.168.10.1/24 and reboot.

On restart, the controller (192.168.10.10) finds the gateway and lists it for adoption. Clicking adopt, the process immediatly FAILS with the error message "Adoption failed, incorect username/password. So, I factory reset the gateway, set the username/password to be the same as my Omada controller, tried the process again with the same result.

Unless I'm missing something here, this is a hard STOP. Its impossible to follow the guide past this point.

SOLUTION:

There may be other ways to do this, but this is what I did...

1) Change the IP address of the OC200 controller to a static IP of 192.168.0.2

2) Disconnect the OC200 from the main network and connect it directly to the Omada gateway (ER605v2 in my case) stand alone.

3) Connect a laptop with a static IP of 192.168.0.3 to the second LAN port of the OC200 (if you use a LAN port on the gateway it will fail...)

4) Navigate to the OC200 dashboard at 192.168.0.2 which shows the new gateway ready for adoption, so click Adopt and wait...

5) After some time, the new gateway is adopted and confgured.., however, during this process it changes the LAN IP of the gateway to 192.168.10.1/24, so..

6) Now change the static IP address of the OC200 back to something in the range 192.168.10.1/24

7) Change the laptop to a static IP in the range 192.168.10.1/24

8) Reboot the Gateway and OC200

9) Now both the Gateway and OC200 are on the 192.168.10.1/24 network, and the OC200 then fully adopts the gateway (Again)

At this point I was able to configure the gateway, which basically invloved editing all the existing VLANs and changing them from type VLAN (layer 2 VLAN) to 'Interface' (layer 3 VLAN). This enables the DHCP and routing capability that my previous router was doing when these were setup as Layer 2 VLANs.

Next, I setup the WAN connection detials (PPPoE detials),

Then I entered all the DHCP reservations for my existing network (93 in total). This avoids any IP clashes when replacing the old gateway with the new one (which would potentially hand out new leases with IP's already used by devices in the network)

Finally setup up a few port forwarding rules...

Lastly I connected my OC200 back to the main network, and swaped the WAN and LAN connections from the old gateway to the new one.

After this, I'm happy to report that everything worked perfectly... HOWEVER, this is not the seamless install process I've come to expect with Omada, plus the fact the all the official guides on how to do this are less than useless...

So, rant over..., network performance looks great, and I can now monitor the entire network from one UI.

I sincerley hope TP-Link and get this process a lot slicker.., or at the very least, document the right way to do it.

Options
Re:Cannot adopt ER605
2022-06-13 10:04:30

Dear @Tescophil,

Tescophil wrote

After this, I'm happy to report that everything worked perfectly... HOWEVER, this is not the seamless install process I've come to expect with Omada, plus the fact the all the official guides on how to do this are less than useless...

So, rant over..., network performance looks great, and I can now monitor the entire network from one UI.

I sincerley hope TP-Link and get this process a lot slicker.., or at the very least, document the right way to do it.

Thank you for taking the time to share your final solution, and your valuable feedback on our guides is much appreciated! The guide will be modified soon to avoid such issue.

In fact, at Step 3 in the guide https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/3148/ we need to click Retry after the adoption failed and then input the new username and password created on standalone GUI to adopt the gateway. The current guide indeed doesn't mention this in detail. Sorry for any trouble caused!

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 8358

Replies: 2

Related Articles