Omada router floods Grandstream GXW device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-06-21 23:30:25
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I have a ER7206 router installed at a hotel. As part of the phone system, a Grandstream GXW4104 FXO gateway is in use to connect the analogue phone lines to Asterisk. This Grandstream box was installed a few weeks ago and the ER7206 was installed about three weeks ago.

Recently, the GXW box stopped working properly with the web interface becoming very slow and phone calls having distorted audio. The device was acting like it was overloaded.

I investigated and the GXW box is being flooded with traffic from the router, with the GXW’s LAN led flashing rapidly whenever it is connected to the ER7206.

I have tried removing everything from the router except for the GXW box and the problem continues so the traffic is not from elsewhere on the LAN. When I connect the GXW box and my laptop to the broadband modem, it does not have this problem and works normally, so I don’t think that the issue is from the internet or from the GXW box calling out. This leaves the Omada router as the source of the heavy traffic.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the router to do this?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Omada router floods Grandstream GXW device
2022-06-22 07:52:16

@Eric2022 I did not see any similar issue before in this forum. But according to your description, you can try

1. Add a switch between the GXW and the Router LAN port;

2. On the Router, go to Port Settings and limit the port(that connected to the GXW) to 100M Full-duplex.(this screenshot comes from Emulator, I'm using Controller and the controller cannot modify port speed)

Options
2022-06-22 16:45:38

@Somnus Putting the Grandstream box behind a switch fixed it.

It's strange because the Grandstream box was connected to a 24-port switch connected to one port of the ER7206 and the source of the traffic was connected to another port of the ER7206, so I am not sure why adding another switch between the Grandstream box would solve it.

I used wireshark to trace the traffic and it was MPEG packets probably from a camera going from 172.23.163.* to 239.206.3.*. This traffic was coming from a switch covering a group of rooms. Connecting this group to the ER7206 would start the traffic, but even when disconnected, the router would continue to send this traffic to the Grandstream for a period.

I am thinking of replacing the current 24-port switch with a Jetstream managed switch I can use with Omada. Do you think this would work? I just can't explain why I needed to put another switch in front of the grandstream box when it was already connected to both a switch and a different port on the ER7206 from the traffic source.

Options
2022-06-23 08:35:42

@Eric2022 I have no idea, my suggestion comes from my experience...I think it may be related to IGMP snooping or something, but not sure.

I think Omada switch can do the job. Although I did not meet the same issue, my TL-SG2210P just work perfect

Options