Port forwarding strangeness. Some ports forward correctly and some do not

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-10-08 21:48:07
Model: ER605 (TL-R605)  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've set up a small Omada network for testing and I've seen something strange with the port forwarding.  If I forward all ports via the dmz function it works as expected and ALL ports that I've checked seem to forward correctly.  If instead, I only forward selected ports most seem to work correctly but a few (500 and 4500 discovered so far) do not.  I'm testing using nmap on a device directly connected on the WAN side and tcpdump on the target machine inside the network so this is NOT an ISP issue.  Since the ports that don't forward are for a L2TP vpn and the ER605 does have vpn server capability internally I suspect that it is silently refusing to set the forward rule but I don't know how to confirm that or what to do about it.  I do NOT have any vpn servers configured on the ER605 at this time but I did earlier so it's possible that some setting related to that is still stuck in there somewhere.  Next steps I'm thinking of are to reset the ER605 to factory defaults and re-adopt it or possibly configure it outside of the Omada platform and see if it behaves the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Options
3 Reply
Re:Port forwarding strangeness. Some ports forward correctly and some do not
2022-10-08 23:20:29

@nmos 

My thread here ER605 / 7206 - DMZ not working properly and long winded workaround - Business Community (tp-link.com)  notes basically the same thing - VPNS do not tunnel through the ER605 correctly if you want them directed to another server on the network.  I found a solution detailed in that thread that works, but its not particularly elegant

Options
2022-10-09 09:19:50

@GRL 

It sounds like you're having the opposite problem.  For me if I forward as a dmz then everything seems to forward as it should.  It's only if I try to forward individual ports that it doesn't work and then only for a handful of ports (specifically vpn related ones).

Options
2022-10-09 09:46:49 - last edited 2022-10-09 09:52:08

@nmos 

I think its the exact same issue - i was trying to put what is essentially another VPN server on the LAN and port forward / dmz vpn ports to it without success until i figured out the workaround.  Forwarding ports other tha VPN ports does seem to work normally on DMZ or as a virtual server by themselves as you indicate

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 595

Replies: 3

Related Articles