URL Filtering (EAP Rules)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-11-24 13:50:49
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 5.5.6

I've been struggling to set up URL filtering for EAP rules, and wonder if a Gateway is needed for the filetering to work.

My system consists of a software controller (5.5.6), multiple EAPs (115, 225 and 245s) and several SSIDs. I don't currently have a managed gateway. I am wanting to block access to certain sites for several of the SSIDs, but despite setting it up as below (and every other way I can think of) the URLs are not blocked. I have tried re-provisioning the EAPs after applying the rules with no luck either.

Does this feature actually require a gateway to function? Or does it only function on certain EAPs?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:URL Filtering (EAP Rules)
2022-11-25 07:18:34

@ACMiller 

It should work for clients connecting to this SSID, if you have set up EAP Rules that do not require a gateway.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-11-26 10:59:02 - last edited 2022-11-26 11:18:27

@ACMiller it should work the way you have it set. I have found some https sites get around this but I tested the YouTube filter as you have it set, on my network, and it did successfully block the site.

No, a gateway is not required since you entered it under Network Security>URL Filtering>EAP Rules.

Is the software controller running at the time you test these?

Options
2022-11-28 07:39:30
Thanks for testing it on your side. Yes the software controller runs 24/7. I tried setting this up and leaving it for a few days, just in case the settings weren't syncing to the APs, but still no luck. I've had this issue with several versions of the controller, but will try updating and see if that helps.
Options
2022-11-28 09:10:20

@ACMiller wish I could help more but I don't see any reason for your settings to not work other than the software version is bugged. I saw this in the settings but I don't fully understand it and so not sure if it pertains to your issue. I doubt it does. I would get on support chat and ask them. They have always responded to me.

Options
2022-11-28 10:00:58
Thanks, let me try chat support. I've updated the controller without any change, and made sure I got the order of the rules correct, so there's not much more left to try.
Options
2022-11-29 10:23:43 - last edited 2022-11-29 10:25:55

@ACMiller I noticed you are using an older version. Have you tried the newer V5.7.4 ?

I know its not the answer you are seeking but after using the software controller for a little while, I ordered the OC200 and never looked back.

Options
2022-11-29 10:48:32

@RickJamesBish 

Thanks, good to know regarding the OC200. I've updated to the latest version of the controller with no luck. Chat support say they'll call me back to troubleshoot further.

I'm currently using the software controller on a dedicated windows laptop, with a decent battery that ensures excellent stability despite electricity load shedding (you know, because, South Africa). The simplicity of the OC200 has always been tempting though. I'm adding the ER605 to the mix, mostly for failover and load balancing, but I don't think it'll help with this.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 623

Replies: 7

Related Articles