Setting up for 300+ guests on wifi

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-03-30 19:59:48
Model: EAP620 HD  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Hi, i have tinkered in small networking for a while but am in need of some guidance for a bigger project.

I am setting up a network for a skating rink. I currently have set up a

OC200 controller

ER7206 router

GL-SG2428P switch

3 X EAP620 HD APs

I have configuerd the router with 1 static ip from the ISP, created 1 regular Wi-Fi network and one guest network and set a 5meg limit on the guest network.

All other settings were default during the basic setup through omada. 

What else do I need to configure in order to allow 300+ guests to connect to the network?

This location won't be opening for another month so I don't have any data to log to see how well it works. If it works well I plan on implementing it at one of the other skating rinks that may need up to 600 guest capacity because there is no cell signal in that building and almost everyone gets on the Wi-Fi that's currently there. I assume I will need a couple more APS to handle the additional connections.

Thanks for any guidance you can help me with.

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up for 300+ guests on wifi
2023-03-31 07:04:13

@SonicXtasy 

Hello, firstly you need to adopt all devices on the controller and make sure they are showing connected.

Then set up the WAN settings, go to wireless, set the SSID, assign the SSID to the EAP, then the wifi will work.

Additionally, I remember the ER7206 maximum number of recommended clients is 500, 600 guests is a little much.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2023-03-31 10:52:48

@Virgo I forgot to mention that everything is adopted to the Omada controller and I can manage everything from the app.

The network is up, working and managed. What I am concerned with is the maximum number of connections. If all 3 EAP620 HDs all share the same VLAN then I am limited to about 250 connections. Do the EAP620 HDs have their own IP they hand out or do I need to do some additional set up in the router to get over 250 connections?

I bought the EAP620 HD because they claim they could handle up to 1000 connections which I know is not going to happen but I assumed they could at least handle 150-250 each. 3 in this location should be enough for the estimated 300 max guest connections. At the other location where we may need up to 6-700 I realize I need more router horsepower and more APs.

Thanks, David

Options
2023-03-31 18:15:21

@SonicXtasy You should ensure that you have band steering enabled, set your 2.4G channels to 20Mhz and static configure them to use only Ch1,6,11, and you may want to intentially decrease the RF power the APs put out in the 2.4G band (by 3-5dB) to encourage users to jump on 5.8G which can then operate on wider BW (leave 5.8G channels on 'Auto').  You will want to monitor which radios and channels seem to attract loading and iterate settings to optimize.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2023-04-07 19:45:55

@SonicXtasy 
and you need to Setup a /22 Network not only /24.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 472

Replies: 4

Related Articles