SFP WAN "ISP load" graph is accouting the wrong thing

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2023-06-17 13:45:05
Model: ER7206 (TL-ER7206)  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: latest beta

Hi:

My setup is:

There is a fiber SFP SFU ONU device on the SFP slot,  a PPPOE connection is established there on internet vlan nnnn.

The ISP also pushes other traffic on this port, namely a multicast stream for IPTV, it is always in the 5mbit range. 

For some reason the router appears to be accounting this multicast stream as "ISP load"  which I guess is because the accouting is been done on the entire SFP device "aka eth0" and not on "pppN"  or maybe "eth0.nnnn" where the actual internet traffic is going.

Nobody is subscribed to that multicast stream, it is esentially rendering the ISP load graph unreliable because it is not counting what it should.

Options
3 Reply
Re:SFP WAN "ISP load" graph is accouting the wrong thing
2023-06-19 14:34:25

@Hank21 @Fae Im pretty sure this is a bug. can you please forward it to the relevant person ?

Options
2023-06-20 01:43:02

Hello @crrodriguez,

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

May I know how you test the actual ISP Load Data?

How do you know the controller accounts this multicast stream as "ISP load"?

If you can share some screenshots to show that, it will be more helpful.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2023-06-20 13:43:42

@Hank21 Because even ifI unplug everything lan side..there is a ~5 mbit download accounted... that surely corresponds to the rate that the ISP is multicasting, because there is nothing else.

That tells me clearly accounting is been done on the root device "eth0" and not on the PPP connection..or the vlan were the actual isp data is going.

After so many issues with the WAN vlans things I have decided to make the Fiber device untag exclusively the internet vlan and present it to the er-7206 pretending it is a dumb consumer router device unaware of IEEE 802.1Q.. this immediately corrected the accounting and the permanent ~ 5mbit stream is gone.

Options