TP-Link router as Wireguard client to other brand than TP-Link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP-Link router as Wireguard client to other brand than TP-Link

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
14 Reply
Re:TP-Link router as Wireguard client to other brand than TP-Link
2023-12-07 09:12:27

Hi @MR.S 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

Do you have any tips? I have connetction to the wireguard server but I don't get any traffic in the tunnel until I enter 0.0.0.0/0 but I don't want to route all traffic through the tunnel only some networks, I have only tested on an ER706W so I don't know if it is the same on ER8411 or ER707-M2

All tips are gratefully received smiley

0.0.0.0/0 as allowed-ips? Is there a firewall/ACL? I cannot think of anything why would it be like that. Anything like the routing table on the peer??

On the Omada, it does not matter. When you set it up on the Omada system, without any config, it would work and if you put the allowed-ips(those LAN subnets from the Omada) on the other peer, it would work and allow access. At least I knew this was true about the Omada when I wrote the config guide.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-07 09:21:59

@Clive_A 

Clive_A wrote

Hi @MR.S 

MR.S wrote

@Clive_A 

Do you have any tips? I have connetction to the wireguard server but I don't get any traffic in the tunnel until I enter 0.0.0.0/0 but I don't want to route all traffic through the tunnel only some networks, I have only tested on an ER706W so I don't know if it is the same on ER8411 or ER707-M2

All tips are gratefully received smiley

0.0.0.0/0 as allowed-ips? Is there a firewall/ACL? I cannot think of anything why would it be like that. Anything like the routing table on the peer??

On the Omada, it does not matter. When you set it up on the Omada system, without any config, it would work and if you put the allowed-ips(those LAN subnets from the Omada) on the other peer, it would work and allow access. At least I knew this was true about the Omada when I wrote the config guide.

No firewall/ACL and when I try to route a network is visible in routing tabel but dont work, The strange this is that wireguard site to site between a ER706w and ER707-M2 rout work but on a wireguard server on a linux computer I have to use 0.0.0.0/0 to get trafic but then all go tru wireguard server and that is nothing I want..

it would have been cool if you could create another tab in the configuration called wireguard client, that would probably have solved many problems :-)

Anyway, now I've at least tried and learned a bit more about wireguard :-)

Options
2023-12-07 09:32:03

Hi @MR.S 

So if that's a Linux, you might need a routing table to specify that. I was using reinted to create the forward when I played around the VPS. My VPS is based on the Linux and installed reinted to help me forward some traffic based on ports. I did not mess around with the routing tables or iptables as I need port forwarded/mirrored. I did not have the energy to recover the image as it would cost me money and time. I have some services yet I have not got time to play with the WG as the way to remote it.

I was thinking of using reinted to set up the routing. But it mainly focuses on port mirroring.

My guess would be the missing routing table. Because I was not able to access anything with the WG on VPS. I can connect to it but traffic is not normal. I'll find time to deal with that in the future when I have a chunk of time.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2023-12-07 15:00:22

@Clive_A 

I don't think there is a routing problem on the wireguard server that runs on linux, then it wouldn't help to set 0.0.0.0/0 on the TP-Link router. moreover, the wireguard server works for all other clients.

but there is not much more to spend time on, I was most interested in using TP-Link wireguard as a pure client on the router, it turns out to be difficult right now, I hope there will be an improved version of wireguard in a later update :-)

so thanks for the help so far

Options
Related Articles