Retrieve Omada settings from device

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-01 14:04:31
Model: EAP225  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

I have a small installation for a customer where the settings for the Omada controller (software) were backed not up properly.   It is a little organization with very limited resources and their old server died (disk failure).  The Omada controller is gone, but the devices continue to function with their last configuration.  Before I recreate everything, I thought I would explore the possibility of retrieving the configuration from one of the EAP devices and using that to rebuild some of the controller information.  

Options
3 Reply
Re:Retrieve Omada settings from device
2024-03-01 20:40:32

@KitCB 

Do you have the Device Admin credentials at least from the old controller?

Do you know if it was creating autobackups like mine?  If so, can you forensically recover one of those backups?

In my case (using mbentley's docker image) those files were stored here: /opt/tplink/EAPController/data/autobackup and were linked to a docker volume on the host machine which I can extract the files from. 

If you can retrieve at least 1 good backup file, you can at least get the device admin info, and most likely 99% of the running config you need.  Otherwise, you'll be re-imagining the controller...

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
2024-03-01 21:19:25

@d0ugmac1 

No, unfortunately it was running (just for the Omada controler) on an old mini ITX desktop with a small SSD.  (it was fine for the purpose, my mistake was not making a backup of the config immediately) The SSD died and is unrecognized by anything, so no data recovery.   I have another controller set up and ready to go, and quite honestly redoing the config is not going to be much of an issue - I know the SSIDs and related passwords, the APs are all up and functioning, so this is more an exercise to see if there is a way to retrieve the configs is possible.

When I try to access one of the APs on my network from a browser it tells me that the webserver (AP based) is unavailable because the Controller Software is running.   The site in question is remote, so I may find that since the controller is down there, I may be able to just directly access the APs via the web. 

Options
2024-03-01 22:04:30

@KitCB 

To do anything with those devices someone will have to go to site.  You may be able to talk a semi-tech literate someone through how to reset devices and join them to a remote controller (ie local to you) which would allow you to later at your convenience go to site and migrate the site from your temp controller to a new controller on site.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 495

Replies: 3

Related Articles