Router for an outdoor WIFI using EAP-650

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2024-03-08 11:59:14 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

Hi, we want to setup WIFI access for a small campsite next to a restaurant. We want to use EAP-650 for this. Access to the internet is via a fiber. Also, we want to use PowerLAN (TL-WPA8631P) to setup access in the guest room of the restaurant.

To configure access, we need an intelligent router. We thought about getting TP7212, as it has PoE+ ports. But it is not listed explcitly on the compatibility list, although it is also marked as an "Omada" router. So I am wondering if there is any drawback in using this router in this setup?

ER7206 and ER707 are listed in the list of intelligent routers, but they do not feature a PoE+ port.

I also would like to know if a Jetstream switch is required in addition to make the setup work, since it is shown in the sketches. But it is not clear if this is optional. I assume it's only needed if you want to setup a mesh network.

We actually don't need a "cloud-based" configuration or config via an app. But we want to setup 2 separate virtual WiFi networks, one for interal purposes (including the cash terminal) and one for the guests with restricted access.

Options
9 Reply
Re:Router for an outdoor WIFI using EAP-650
2024-03-09 11:10:42 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

@derwaldgeist 

You can use that router but if you're not planning to have more than one EAP in a mesh the controller is not needed.

ER7212PC is a 3-in-1 device - integrates router, PoE+ output, and Omada centralized management ability altogether.

You could use one of these in combination with a easy smart, PoE+ capable switch like these (they support VLANs).

Of course if you go with ER7212PC a switch is just an option.

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-09 11:33:20 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

@terziyski Thanks for sharing your insights. I just learned that I can even go without the PoE+ switch, since the EAP650-Outdoor already has a passive PoE adapter. If I understand things correctly. I would only need an additional PoE+ switch as soon as I want to setup a network of EAPs.

Options
2024-03-09 12:27:22 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

@derwaldgeist 

That's correct. It also includes a DC power adapter:

If this was helpful click once on the arrow pointing upward. If this solves your issue, click once the star to mark it as a "Recommended Solution".
Options
2024-03-09 13:57:20 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

Thanks! I am thinking about getting a ER605 or a ER707-M2. Initially, I thought about getting a ER7212, but doesn't seem to make much sense to me now, as the planned setup is rather small and I only have one device that requires PoE.

The WAN connection is a 1Gbit fiber (max), and the network setup should serve approx. 10-15 guests at a restaurant including a small RV campsite (that's what the EAP650-Outdoor is for) and a holiday flat. For the restaurant and flat, I'm planning to use 3 PowerLANs.

So I am wondering if the 2.5Gbits ER707-M2 is already "oversized". Or are there other reasons to prefer the ER707 over the ER605?

Options
2024-03-09 14:42:35 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

@derwaldgeist 

Both would work for you but this should be your decision - here's a comparison between them. I would go with ER605 in this case.

Options
2024-03-09 16:46:08 - last edited 2024-03-11 01:08:05

@terziyski Oh neat, I didn't see that the website has a compare function. Thanks for pointing this out.

Options
2024-03-11 02:49:59

Hi @derwaldgeist 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

derwaldgeist wrote

@terziyski Oh neat, I didn't see that the website has a compare function. Thanks for pointing this out.

I'd recommend you go for the dedicated routers as ER7212PC is not very ideal for geeks and people who seek new and fancy features. Its firmware update would be delayed than the dedicated routers. Features would also be a little bit late. Performance does not equal with the dedicated routers either.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-03-11 08:11:40

@Clive_A Interesting. Thanks for the additional insights! Would you see any benefit in going for the 707 if you "only" have a GBit WAN and about 15 ppl using the WIFI?

Options
2024-03-11 08:17:54

Hi @derwaldgeist 

derwaldgeist wrote

@Clive_A Interesting. Thanks for the additional insights! Would you see any benefit in going for the 707 if you "only" have a GBit WAN and about 15 ppl using the WIFI?

707-M2 would be a suitable one for future-proof when 2.5G is common. I would say if you are sensitive to the port speed compared to other models, that one would be a great deal.

605 might get revisioned if its hardware is fully exploited. So, get better hardware, you probably can have a long life span. That would also be a benefit of 707-M2.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options