Network Safety between different buildings

2024-04-25 06:30:52 - last edited 2024-06-19 10:10:33
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version: 2.14.4 Build 20240304 Rel.54311

Hello dear community. I'm new to the forum and have a question for you.

I have been using different Omada AccessPoints with the OC200 in my home for several years. Since I wanted to bring my network up to date, I rebuilt the most of it two weeks ago. I pulled new cables (mostly CAT7 oder CAT6a) and installed a 19" network cabinet. 
My installed hardware now consists of:

1x Gateway ER605

1x Controller OC200

1x Switch SG2428P

1x Switch SG2210P

3x EAP225

2x EAP235-Wall

1x EAP225-Outdoor

The first switch is in the house, the second in a garage some distance away. Since there was no possibility for me to pull fiber cable between those buildings, i used a CAT7 cable. I use different VLANs, because of my home automation system, my NAS, surveillance cameras etc.

For security reasons, I would like to protect the connection between the house and the garage with the omada software, but i really don´t know how to do this. I would like to do the same with the cables that go out to the surveillance cameras or the outdoor-accesspoint. Would it make sense to use mac-based authentication here? Just in case, someone unplugs a camera and uses this connection with a laptop or anything else.

The controller, gateway, NAS and the fiber-cable converter from my ISP are located in my network cabinet inside my house.

Maybe someone of you has an idea how I could configure this safely.

Thanks and have a nice day,

Tom

(i apologize for my bad english, im from austria)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Network Safety between different buildings-Solution
2024-06-19 10:10:21 - last edited 2024-06-19 10:10:33

@tom_96 

You can set up port security for the switch using the terminal tool on the controller to realize your need.
The following instructions explain how to use the terminal tool:How to use tools on the Omada Controller
The switch needs also be updated with firmware adapted for the V5.9 Controller. So pls upgrade the firmware on the switch to the most recent version.

The CLI command is 

#
interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/19
mac address-table max-mac-count max-number 1
mac address-table max-mac-count exceed-max-learned enable
mac address-table max-mac-count mode permanent
mac address-table max-mac-count status drop

You can configure mac filtering to allow just specific devices to connect to the access point if you do not want other clients to join.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
1 Reply
Re:Network Safety between different buildings-Solution
2024-06-19 10:10:21 - last edited 2024-06-19 10:10:33

@tom_96 

You can set up port security for the switch using the terminal tool on the controller to realize your need.
The following instructions explain how to use the terminal tool:How to use tools on the Omada Controller
The switch needs also be updated with firmware adapted for the V5.9 Controller. So pls upgrade the firmware on the switch to the most recent version.

The CLI command is 

#
interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/19
mac address-table max-mac-count max-number 1
mac address-table max-mac-count exceed-max-learned enable
mac address-table max-mac-count mode permanent
mac address-table max-mac-count status drop

You can configure mac filtering to allow just specific devices to connect to the access point if you do not want other clients to join.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 258

Replies: 1

Related Articles