Multi-site as one site

Multi-site as one site

Multi-site as one site
Multi-site as one site
2024-05-29 19:37:54

I recently started working at a small church and they asked me to help them "reset" the network. I am not an network administrator by trade but I guess I am the most "experienced" out of everyone in the office. I am new to the Omada world.

We have two buildings (church and office) about 40' from each other. Currently, each building has their own internet connection and their own WiFi router with 2 SSID each. The church has a Public SSID a Private SSID (which no one uses). The office has a Public SSID (for meeting room guests) and Office SSID (for office staff). We prefer not to do a point-to-point bridge as both internet connections are still on contract (and unfortuantely, recently renewed before I started). 

I would like to utilize the Omada Cloud controller to manage the network remotely. I am thinking of replacing the WiFi routers with the ER7212PC at each location plus XX amount of EAP650's.  The office building will have the additional DS108GP switch. 

In the cloud controller, I am assuming I have to set them up as two separate sites. But I'm hoping to reduce the number of SSIDs to two: Public/Office.  Is there a way to merge the two Public SSIDs as one so that when users move between buildings, they will seamlessly connect to the other router and maintain a strong signal strength? And/or is there a way to merge the two sites inside the cloud controller into one so I can see all the APs/devices on one page instead of switching back and forth between the two sites?

I am familiar if it was one internet connection, one router, and multiple switches across both buildings but I'm unsure with our unique situation of two routers and two internet connections. I hope to plan it all out before purchasing the hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Options
1 Reply
Re:Multi-site as one site
2024-05-30 03:20:06

v2011 wrote

I recently started working at a small church and they asked me to help them "reset" the network. I am not an network administrator by trade but I guess I am the most "experienced" out of everyone in the office. I am new to the Omada world.

We have two buildings (church and office) about 40' from each other. Currently, each building has their own internet connection and their own WiFi router with 2 SSID each. The church has a Public SSID a Private SSID (which no one uses). The office has a Public SSID (for meeting room guests) and Office SSID (for office staff). We prefer not to do a point-to-point bridge as both internet connections are still on contract (and unfortuantely, recently renewed before I started). 

I would like to utilize the Omada Cloud controller to manage the network remotely. I am thinking of replacing the WiFi routers with the ER7212PC at each location plus XX amount of EAP650's.  The office building will have the additional DS108GP switch. 

In the cloud controller, I am assuming I have to set them up as two separate sites. But I'm hoping to reduce the number of SSIDs to two: Public/Office.  Is there a way to merge the two Public SSIDs as one so that when users move between buildings, they will seamlessly connect to the other router and maintain a strong signal strength? And/or is there a way to merge the two sites inside the cloud controller into one so I can see all the APs/devices on one page instead of switching back and forth between the two sites?

I am familiar if it was one internet connection, one router, and multiple switches across both buildings but I'm unsure with our unique situation of two routers and two internet connections. I hope to plan it all out before purchasing the hardware. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi @v2011 

The ER7212PC is not necessary to be added. You can still keep using yoru current router. I will suggest you have a cotnroller such as software controller on one of your site, and refer to this step to manage/adopt the EAP on different sites.

How to Manage Omada Devices at Different Sites Using Omada SDN Controller via Port Forwarding (Controller 5.0 or Above) | TP-Link

For your two SSIDs, you can enable the guest network for the public SSID. There is no need to replace to an Omada router unless the VLAN is required.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 192

Replies: 1

Related Articles