Votes

Perpetual PoE/Uninterruptable PoE on Omada PoE switches.

Votes

2024-06-06 18:10:34 - last edited 2024-06-08 03:52:48

I am curious why more TP-Link Omada switches don't support the Perpetual or Uninterruptable PoE feature, where actively PoE powered ports retain power during a switch reboot. I can find record of only two Omada switches, SG6428XHP and SG6654XHP that seem to have this feature.

It seems like it should be something implementable in firmware? It would be so convenient to not have to manually and safely shut down connected PoE devices in order to perform a switch firmware update or reboot, and then have to bring every device back online. 

Options
2 Reply
Re:Perpetual PoE/Uninterruptable PoE on Omada PoE switches.
2024-06-07 01:51:42 - last edited 2024-06-08 03:52:48

Hi @MrAdministrator 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

A common practice for any vendor is that you separate the product lines for different groups of people and user cases.

The price of the L3 switch and the choice of hardware parts for it are completely different.

We have a series of products for different users and if you are a pro user, you should go for the products that are better built. And, these models support dual power supply. I assume it is one of the reasons why you can have perpetual PoE on them.

From the perspective of the power supply and PoE, it has something to do with the PoE Controller on the motherboard. I don't think it is something you achieve from the software instead the hardware can support it.

I don't know how other vendors price this feature on PoE switches. Do you know any? I can make a proposal to the PM if you can list me with a vendor that is capable of this. I believe this will incite our product manager to work on it.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Perpetual PoE/Uninterruptable PoE on Omada PoE switches.
2024-06-07 03:06:03 - last edited 2024-06-08 03:52:48

@Clive_A 

Thanks for replying! I suppose there might be a hardware design consideration that has to be made, but perhaps it can be done with firmware only.

In particular, I noticed Netgear has their 300 line of PoE switches which are all extremely reasonably priced, and all support "uninterrupted PoE" per the datasheet, which as described maintains power to connected PoE devices during switch reboot, including firmware updates, so long as the firmware update doesn't alter PoE management/settings.

The particular switch I have this would be useful on is the SG2016P, which is similar in pretty much every way to the 300 series from Netgear (price, features, form factor, external power brick).

Options

Information

Helpful: 2

Views: 235

Replies: 2

Voters 2