Question Re: TL-WA7210N Setup

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-22 00:46:52
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Here's the problem I'm trying to solve: My Mom does not have access to Wifi at a reasonable cost but I want her to have internet service. However, she has a neighbor who is very willing to share her internet with my Mom. The two house are around 125 feet apart with little to no obstacles to line of sight. The neighbor has her wireless router on the side of her house closest to my Mom's house and Mom now gets two bars but only in her kitchen, the closest to the neighbor's house. My goal is to get a better signal at my Mom's house so that she can use her laptop in rooms other than the kitchen.

My first question is what configuration should I use. Not being familiar with the product, it seems that "Repeater" would be the logical choice. Am I correct that after setup, it will not be necessary for the 4210 to be connected directly to the neighbor's router via Ethernet cable? This option would seem to be desirable because I would not have to go into the neighbor's house to set up the device. I assume the device picks up the neighbor's wireless signal and rebroadcast or repeats it in the direction the device is pointed.

A second option seems to be to set up as an Access Point with the device connected to the neighbor's router with an Ethernet cable. This option would seem to be better because I would be getting a full wired signal to be broadcast by the 7210.

I had no problem with the setup of the device. The problem is understanding the configuration choices.

I'll appreciate your advice so that when I get to my Mom's house I won't have to guess about the most appropriate configuration. Before buying the 7210, I was advised by your guys that the 7210 would be best my situation.

Ken Vinzant
Birmingham, AL
Options
10 Reply
Re:Question Re: TL-WA7210N Setup
2015-09-22 09:35:37
Hi Ken, in my opinion, either repeater or AP mode is not a best choice.
In the repeater mode, there's no doubt that 7210 can cover the signal into the house. However, communication is bidirectional. Devices in the house is difficult to talk to 7210 obstructed by walls. So you may get low wireless speed in this way.
As for AP mode, it's unconvient to place the cable.
The best way may be the combination of 7210 in Client mode with a wireless router in AP mode.
You would just mount the 7210 on the roof to face neighbour's house with LOS clearance. Then, plug the wireless router to the LAN port of 7210.
Options
Maybe I don't understand. . . . . . . .
2015-09-22 20:20:09
First, thanks, Bird, for the reply. Before I bought the 7210, I talked with support at TP Link and outlined my problem. I have since talked with them again about my setup to solve the problem. Regarding your solution, it seems that if I set it up as an Access Point there would be plenty of signal directed at my Mom's house. With the wired connection, if I understand correctly, the 7210 would be broadcasting it's own wireless signal (labeled TP-Link 00000) to my Mom's house if I aim the 7210 toward her house. Remember, her house is only around 125 feet away from the neighbor. What I do?n't understand about your solution is why would I need a router? Also, why would I point the 7210 toward the neighbor's house. It seems that would be broadcasting a signal to the neighbor who already has a wireless router and gets her signal from it??????

If a support person monitors this forum, I hope they will help with this problem. I just want to understand before I get to my Mom's house on a Saturday and not able to get support.

Ken Vinzant
Birmingham, AL
Options
2015-09-23 02:08:21
Ok this will be not easy, cause you ask yourself too many questions, for what I read, you allready have the 7210, Im correct.
you posted 2 scenarios, thats the reason you are confused, all they posted you on #2 is correct, but you posted too, you better not going to neighbors home, so in that case you will need the extra router, as they posted you, you set up 7210 as Client in your Moms home, on Client mode it does not deliver wireless internet only wire, thats the reason you will need the extra router.
If you dont want to buy the extra cheap router like 740 or 741ND set 7210 on AP-Client-Router mode, this mode delivers wireless internet, BUT its a repeating mode, and all repeating modes suck, you will need at least a daily reboot.
My advise, go to your friendly neighbor and set 7210 on AP mode outdoors, connect to his router via lan cable, point it at your Moms home, with download tilt if necessary and 7210 is so powerfull that your Mom will have internet in all her house.
Options
2015-09-23 10:17:58
What I don't understand about your solution is why would I need a router?As danymarc said, when you take my solution to configure 7210 as Client mode, it doesn't broadcast wireless signal but provide a wire port to the house. In this scenario, you have to use an extra router to work as a AP to cover the indoor with wireless network.
Also, why would I point the 7210 toward the neighbor's house.
As the 7210 work on Client mode, it wirelessly connects to front router(your neighbour) and provide access to its wired LAN port. In order to get strong signal, you need to face the 7210 to your neighbour.

PS:
7210 is a outdoor product. If you setup it on AP Client Router mode, it can provide wireless and wired connection to your house. Of cause you can get high signal strength indoor. However as I've said, communication is bidirection. In this way your devices is hard to communicate to 7210 obstruct by walls.
As I've configured 7210 before I know such information. But if you want a professional suggestion, you have better contact the TP-LINK support.
Options
2015-09-23 11:31:19

stupidbird wrote

you can get high signal strength indoor. However as I've said, In this way your devices is hard to communicate to 7210 obstruct by walls

@stupidbird, as I posted AP-Client-Router is a Repeating mode and repeating sucks, if he goes for this mode he will place 72 indoors not outdoors, even if he places 72 outdoors it will work US homes are wood not concrete, I have seen how routers work in US homes, way way different to my country, I just visited 3 months ago my bro he lives in California and his home it's a big one, with one router he covers indoors and half of his pool & patio, no way I can do that in my country Mexico, here homes are concrete & steel.
Options
2015-09-23 14:19:25

stupidbird wrote

What I don't understand about your solution is why would I need a router?As danymarc said, when you take my solution to configure 7210 as Client mode, it doesn't broadcast wireless signal but provide a wire port to the house. In this scenario, you have to use an extra router to work as a AP to cover the indoor with wireless network.
Also, why would I point the 7210 toward the neighbor's house.
As the 7210 work on Client mode, it wirelessly connects to front router(your neighbour) and provide access to its wired LAN port. In order to get strong signal, you need to face the 7210 to your neighbour.

PS:
7210 is a outdoor product. If you setup it on AP Client Router mode, it can provide wireless and wired connection to your house. Of cause you can get high signal strength indoor. However as I've said, communication is bidirection. In this way your devices is hard to communicate to 7210 obstruct by walls.
As I've configured 7210 before I know such information. But if you want a professional suggestion, you have better contact the TP-LINK support.

shabi
Options
2015-09-23 14:55:12
@danymarc Very helpful information, thank you.
But 7210N is a outdoor product. It performs well in outdoor long distance scenarios.
If placing it indoor as a wireless router, anyway I think it's a waste. A wireless router instead in WDS mode is enough.
Maybe a router can cover all the whole indoors and pool as your bro, it remains the challenge for the clients to transmit so far.
A field exam helps. To share an example: it surprised me that my friend in brazil can visit the far-end 5210G in the distance of almost 500 feet using a smart phone!! Fabulous.
Options
2015-09-23 21:03:03
WDS does not work, works for an hour then stops, needs a reboot to regain.
Yes it is a waste, but he already has it
If you ask me what I would had done before buying, he posted his Mom receives neighbor wifi by the kitchen 2 bars, I would had bought a 741ND flash it with OpenWrt and you have a flawless repeater that works 24/7, and that's the only gear you need in this case
7210 & 5210 can talk to Smartphones up to 778 mts.
Options
741nd
2015-10-10 21:15:22
Danymarc,

I am returning the 7210 (difficult setup) and would like to follow your suggestion about getting the 741ND and set it up as a repeater as you suggested. With regard to flashing the Open WRT, is the process difficult? The 741ND is fairly inexpensive on Amazon so it wouldn't cost much to try it. Please give me your thoughts.

K
Options
Repeater Mode
2015-10-10 21:30:59
Danymarc,

Another question. If I couldn't get the 7210 to work as a repeater, why do you think the 741ND will work as a repeater?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1087

Replies: 10

Related Articles