Blocking External IP from accessing network...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-03 23:56:06
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello;

Is there anyway that an External WAN IP can be blocked from accessing the network, entirely?
Regularly we get external IP's attempting to access certain ports, and we need to simply block that IP completely from trying to access any/all of the network at the router level. Right now we simply change the router's MAC address, which isn't the best solution.

I'm surprised router Manufacturer's have not put this kind of feature in place to date. There is a block internal IP from accessing the outside WAN network, but no feature for external IP to internal that I can find.

CJ
Options
5 Reply
Re:Blocking External IP from accessing network...
2017-09-11 18:20:06
What's the model number of your router? Generally the ports are closed by default. And you can change the login password and disable remote management on the router for security concern
Options
2017-09-12 00:26:53
Hello, this isn't a block port issue for the actual admin interface...
Essentially we have a PBX and other server based facilities behind the firewall. Quite often there are external attacks or security breach attempts.

We want to be able to block a tracked IP address from the router side before it ever reaches open ports on through the firewall on the router. We simply can't block the open ports themselves since those services on the ports need to be able to be accessed by verified/authorized users.

So having a "Block EXTERNAL IP address" feature in the router itself is needed. As mentioned, I'm surprised router/firewall mfrs. still are not including this in their firmware features.

Cheers!
Options
2021-10-27 20:17:29

@TPchris 

Yes, this should be a standard feature.  My network is being attacked today from an IP address in the U.K. and I can't block it.

You guys need to fix this or I will have to switch from tp-link.

Options
2021-12-04 20:03:23

@TPchris 

I cannot believe this is not available on TP Link routers. I've been searching for the setting.

Please add this very necessary feature. In this era, we need all the security settings we can get.

I find it hard to believe there isn't already a setting to block incoming external IP addresses and ranges.

Options
2021-12-05 14:47:51

@Michael515 4 year old necro...

Also, pretty sure that you cant drop incoming packets, unless you block everything.

WAN also cant really hit anything on the LAN, unless you have something listening on that port and UPnP enabled. Or have set port forwarding/triggering.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4015

Replies: 5

Related Articles