Archer C7 V4 AC1750 as a Wireless Access Point

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-07 05:30:16
Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : Factory (doesn't seem to be any updated yet)

ISP :

Hi, I'm trying to do something very basic with this router. To configure it as a wireless access point only (without routing duties). Just like it's shown in this TP-Link document:

How to Configure TP-Link N router as a wireless Access Point?

I configured the Archer C7 V4 with an IP address in the same range of the main router, disabled DHCP server and it doesn't work.

When I try to access any web site from a connected computer to the WiFi of the Archer C7, it results in some error webpage generated by the router that says "WAN connection error" or something like that.

The question is: Is this Archer C7 V4 AC1750 capable of this very basic operation, as a wireless access point? I already bought 3 of these routers just for this!

Any help really appreciated. Thanks!
Options
6 Reply
Re:Archer C7 V4 AC1750 as a Wireless Access Point
2017-09-07 14:21:51
That page isn't for your router. Your router's manual tells how to make it a network extender using bridge mode in the FAQ section, Q4: http://static.tp-link.com/Archer%20C7_V4_User%20Guide.pdf
Options
2017-09-14 00:40:55
Hi, thank you for your answer. I don't want WPS Bridging. I want to setup it up as a "wireless access point" (plus ethernet switch). This is a very common practice to do with any router. I've experience in computers, and have been doing this for years, with a lot of different routers from different manufacturers. The problem with this new router is its "dumbed down" administration interface. Even in its "Advance" mode it's very basic.

In few words, I want to connect the Archer C7 with a Gigabit Ethernet cable to a main router (the one with the routing duties), and disable the routing part of the Archer C7 (just working as a bridge with fixed IP, disabling NAT and DHCP server), and use it only as a Gigabit Ethernet switch + WiFi access point.

Thanks!
Options
2017-09-14 04:27:03
Have you tried writing to TP-LINK support? I don't have that router, so I only know what your manual listed as an option.
Options
2017-09-15 06:55:44
Hi, I already wrote to TP-Link support. It looks like they don't know much about bridging routers because they were saying me to connect the network cable from one of the main router LAN ports to the WAN port of the secondary router (the Archer C7). That would be for doing a LAN-to-WAN cascading. Something completely different and surely it won't work with such a, lamentably, inflexible router as the C7.

I already resolved the issue. It looks like it was some weird incompatibility problem between the main router and the C7. Anyway, the administration software of the C7 is too oversimplified and it has reduced flexibility for tweaking. That was a determining factor for all the trouble I had to sort out.
Options
2017-10-08 02:30:43
So... I am wanting to do the same, use my Old c7 as an access point in my Garage - so I can get a robust connection to my phone & laptop.
What was the outcome of your setup - NOT being a professional IT person... a more simplified & detailed explanation would be greatly appreciated.
TIA - Zargon in Decatur, GA.
:-P
Options
2017-10-09 17:19:50
I think you can refer this guide:http: //www.tp-link.com/us/faq-1384.html
Options

Information

Helpful: 3

Views: 16792

Replies: 6