TL-WR841N Router signal problem

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-09-16 22:19:59
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi guys,

Bought about 2 weeks ago a TL-WR841N Router, connected the router via PPPoE, all good, good speed (90-95 Mbs either WIFI or LAN), however, took me less than 1 hour after installing it to spot a huge problem.
So, the main problem is that at some point, after 15 minutes or after 4 hours (random I guess), I see I am still connected via WI-FI to the router BUT, I don't have internet connection. At the same time, I can not access the router config. Also, if I try to connect a new device to the router, it can not connect. It's like it's seeing the router but can not connect for some unknown reason.
The only way I can get back online is by resetting the router (power down). Once I do that, all good, until next drop, which can happens within minutes or after a few hours.

I took the router to service, explained them them problem, and after 1 week, I received a new router, same model.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens with this one too. Exactly the same.

Both of them have the latest firmware I can find on the website.

Regarding devices, all devices experience the same problem, 3 laptops, 1 desktop PC (LAN connected), 2 mobile phones. And having just one device connected or all of them, same thing, the connect drops. I tried having only the LAN connected and after some time, 1 hour I think, I could not access internet, yet I saw I am still connected to the router.

Now, I have at home a very very old router (about 8 years old), from another company, and this TP LINK router should replace the old one because lately (1 year +), the old one limits my WIFI speeds a lot, about 25% of what I know it can.

While using the old router, I had an up time of 100%, so it can't by any problems with the cable or with the modem I received from my ISP.
The way I connect either the old router, or the TP LINK one is the same.

Got any ideas on what could be the problem ?

Thank you.

Options
5 Reply
Re:TL-WR841N Router signal problem
2017-09-19 20:09:22
It seems the router died when it drops connection. But it is not normal if two routers have the same issue. When it drops connection, if you connect to the modem, is it working?
Did you contact technical support for help? Maybe they can test it for you.
Options
2017-09-23 20:47:11
Hello,

To answer your questions, it does not reconnect unless I reboot the router.
Well, tech support did test the 1st router, now the 2nd one, and surprise, received a 3rd one.... haven't tried it yet to see if it works.

With the second router I did try a few more things, after I wrote the above.
I asked a friend to test at his place for 1 day, called me after about 2 hours saying it dropped connection.

I also tried a bridge connection between the routers I have at home, as follows:
1. Old one as 1st, TP LINK as 2nd -> 1 laptop and 1 phone connected by WIFI to both of them.... TP LINK did lose connection after a while, 2-3 hours, however the old one kept on going without a problem.
2. TP LINK as 1st, old one as 2nd -> well, TP LINK lost connection and of course, the old one too.

Right now, I am about to try the 3rd router I got from them, but something tells me it's not going to work. Keep you posted.
Options
2017-10-17 02:21:04
Hi guys,

Small update.
After seeing that the 3rd router is now working, I decided to buy a new router, same brand as the 7 years old one.
It's been working non stop for the last 2 weeks, no problem at all.

Got any ideas why this TP LINK model is not working ? I mean, I have right now 2 routers at home that work well and the TP LINK just doesn't.
By the way, got the 4th TP LINK router from service, again, not working ... going to return it tomorrow.
Options
2017-10-17 16:38:13
have no ideal why this model not working, send some info such as log and status to the tp-link support, they may help you further analyze it
Options
2022-01-07 15:00:53

Same problem.

Options