How to prevent bypassing parental control via VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

How to prevent bypassing parental control via VPN?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
15 Reply
Re:How to prevent bypassing parental control via VPN?
2017-11-27 22:06:04

tamer.willson wrote

I think you all are looking at a wrong angle, imagine a great firewall cannot block VPN completely from state level, how do you expect a private company like trend micro to do it????
Wake up people, mind if I suggest easier and more realistic solution to the problem:
1, cut off your kid's allowance as I know most of the VPN are not free.
2, beat the crap out of your children, so they would quite messing around.

While I do not 100% disagree with you... If the product is going to turn off internet access (or advertise it), I would expect the only thing to pass to the internet, to be... NOTHING... TP Link has been really good with working with their customers on finding a resolution, so bringing this to them is only to help make a better product.

As I said, I do not disagree with you on being a parent.. This is a parents job to keep one step ahead of your kids..not the product... but finding a happy medium is always something that can help...
Options
2020-11-30 11:38:02

@hansremmerswaa ITs three years now and looks like keyword filtering has not been added yet. 

Options
2020-12-22 14:43:42

Any update on this issue?

Options
2021-04-06 09:09:01
Lack of people logic baffles me sometime. EVEN if you block internet access for your kid doesn't mean he will do his homework. Only way is for you to be present physically and watch/help him do his homework. If you think internet is a distraction and he doesn't need internet to do his homework, cut the internet completely. That's all folks!
Options
2021-12-30 19:08:53

Parental controls shouldn't just exist on your network hardware, you should also lock down their devices. Computers should have administrator accounts and children should be using resricted accounts that prevent the installation of software without you allowing it. Same thing goes with mobiles, although it is probably more difficult to implement.

Failing that, you should talk to your kid and let them know you can see they are using a VPN. Them knowing you know may be enough to stop them, but if not, just take the phone off them as a consequence. I assume you're the one paying the bills, afterall.

Options