Archer C2 AC750, wired connection causing internet cut out?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-10-17 23:55:25
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi there!

I'm experiencing an issue while using my AC750 Archer C2 router where it loses internet connection when a device that is directly connected via ethernet is switched on. My PC tower is connected via Ethernet cable to port 1 of 4 on my router and when I turn the PC on, the internet cuts out across the whole system. All connected devices remain connected for both wired and wireless (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) yet none can reach the internet. This is also the same for my Xbox One; also connected via ethernet.

If any device is connected via cable to the router when they turn on, it knocks the internet out across the board.

If I switch my PC to wireless, there are no issues when turning on, same with the Xbox.

The internet will remain unreachable until I turn the router off and then on again, whilst all devices remain connected.

Any ideas?

Regards

JMNumber
Options
3 Reply
Re:Archer C2 AC750, wired connection causing internet cut out?
2017-10-18 10:24:35
Sound related to your network topology.
What's the firmware version and hardware version of your router ?
How about the lights on the router when one device plug into the LAN port? Have you changed another cable to have a try?
In my opinion, you can check the IP address when the PC or Xbox plug into the router first
Options
2017-10-18 19:29:47

Shield101 wrote

Sound related to your network topology.
What's the firmware version and hardware version of your router ?
How about the lights on the router when one device plug into the LAN port? Have you changed another cable to have a try?
In my opinion, you can check the IP address when the PC or Xbox plug into the router first

1) Firmware Version:0.9.1 3.2 v0032.0 Build 151022 Rel.60429n [B]Hardware Version:Archer C2 v1 00000000

[/B] 2) With one device connected via Ethernet cable, the following lights are displayed - Power, Wireless, Ethernet and Internet. No other lights are illuminated, there are no flashing of the lights either.

3) I've tried multiple ethernet cables for both the Xbox and the PC - no change, same issue

4) Not sure what you mean with this one, can you clarify?

Regards
Options
2021-07-15 21:18:10

I have a similar issue to this. I have a TP-Link Archer C5 router. One of the ethernet network ports is plugged in to an USB-C dongle that also accepts power. The dongle is connected to a macbook. Out of the blue, my internet went out, meaning my router reported no internet to all of the devices, both wired and wireless. This persisted through a full router reset.

After some troubleshooting I found out unplugging the ethernet cable going to the dongle caused the internet to return, and plugging in the wired ethernet connection to the dongle disabled the internet.

I tested plugging/unplugging all the cables to the dongle and unplugging it from the macbook. For some reason, that seemed to fix the internet connection. I'm not sure if the power supply to the dongle was somehow feeding power or other signal back to the router, causing some kind of failure. Or maybe the dongle wasn't related at all and it was just a coincidence. I was able to reliably reproduce plugging in the ethernet cable to dongle caused the internet to go out (as reported by the router), and unplugging it caused the internet to return, without changing any other settings.

During the entire outage, I was always able to plug a laptop directly into the ethernet to my modem and get internet, and I confirmed with my ISP there were no issues on their end.

Could a faulty dongle that accepts USB-C power send a bad power-over-ethernet signal back to a router, causing a malfunction? Could this also be something specific to TP-Link / Archer routers?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 947

Replies: 3

Related Articles