Problems using Access Point mode with more than 1 Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-01 21:47:09
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I've got a 3-pack of Deco M5s, and am able to use them in default settings with my existing wired network, which is powered by a cable modem/router.
However, this results in the Decos running in a different subnet, so I'm unable to wirelessly access things like my NAS, my AppleTV, etc.

So, I've tried to change them over to Access Point mode. However, I then get random restarts on the Decos every few hours, or just can't connect to the WiFi network even when the Decos are green.

I essentially have to delete the network and reset the Decos to be able to get out of that loop.

However, if I were to set up the 3 Decos in default mode, turn off the 2 that are NOT connected to the modem/router - i.e. leaving turned on only the one that is connected to the modem/router, and THEN change to AP mode, then the Deco swaps successfully and works. I tested this for more than 24 hours with only one Deco in AP mode, and it worked just fine.

However, if I were to then turn on a second Deco (not plugged in to the wired network), then the Decos go into that loop of random restarts, with a wireless network that isn't working. And then I need to delete the network, reset the Decos again, etc etc etc.

Would love some help with this. My entire reason for getting the Decos was because of the AP mode, and so that I can have multiple units that will give me coverage across the weird spots in/weird layout of my house.

My Decos are on the latest firmware: v1.1.5 Build 20170820 Rel: 62483, Hardware version: 1.0

Thank you
Options
26 Reply
Re:Problems using Access Point mode with more than 1 Deco M5
2017-11-02 17:50:34
Hi Kriston,
Can you check what's the IP address of your main router?
If it is 192.168.0.1, please change the router's IP address to 10.10.10.1 or 192.168.10.1.
Please also provide us the model number of router?

Besides, did you restart the deco every few hours or the deco restart itself?
Options
2017-11-02 20:33:48
It's currently 192.168.0.1. I'll change it and see how things go.

It's a Netgear Wireless Cable Gateway CG3100D-2.

And the decos were restarting themselves sometimes. Other times, they'd be green, but none of my wireless devices could connect to the wifi, nor could the App, then I'd have to restart them manually.
Options
2017-11-03 13:38:56
I am glad to find this thread that I am not the only one alone that also facing an similar AP issue, which is setting the Deco in AP mode and having problems. In my case, the Deco is configured as AP mode connected to my Cisco RV134W router. Things are fine for few hours and suddenly not just the existing Wifi clients lost Internet connections, Deco is also not able to assign any IP address to new devices and even the Cisco Router needs to be rebooted as it lost connections to existing LAN clients connecting to it too. Initially I thought the Cisco is failing but after many trials, I can now confirm that is the Deco AP mode causing the issue. Once I set it back to the default Router mode, everything works fine but again, I cannot access my other equipment like printer, NAS, etc... that are now connected to Deco due to different subnets.

TPLink, please solve this problem ASAP!

:(:(:(

kriston wrote

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I've got a 3-pack of Deco M5s, and am able to use them in default settings with my existing wired network, which is powered by a cable modem/router.
However, this results in the Decos running in a different subnet, so I'm unable to wirelessly access things like my NAS, my AppleTV, etc.

So, I've tried to change them over to Access Point mode. However, I then get random restarts on the Decos every few hours, or just can't connect to the WiFi network even when the Decos are green.

I essentially have to delete the network and reset the Decos to be able to get out of that loop.

However, if I were to set up the 3 Decos in default mode, turn off the 2 that are NOT connected to the modem/router - i.e. leaving turned on only the one that is connected to the modem/router, and THEN change to AP mode, then the Deco swaps successfully and works. I tested this for more than 24 hours with only one Deco in AP mode, and it worked just fine.

However, if I were to then turn on a second Deco (not plugged in to the wired network), then the Decos go into that loop of random restarts, with a wireless network that isn't working. And then I need to delete the network, reset the Decos again, etc etc etc.

Would love some help with this. My entire reason for getting the Decos was because of the AP mode, and so that I can have multiple units that will give me coverage across the weird spots in/weird layout of my house.

My Decos are on the latest firmware: v1.1.5 Build 20170820 Rel: 62483, Hardware version: 1.0

Thank you
Options
2017-11-03 17:51:16
Hi Michael,
We didn't receive other feedback of the similar issue, so we need to confirm more information.
Can you please first check the firmware version of the deco is the latest one 170820.
And If your router's Lan IP address is 192.168.0.1 , please change the address to 10.10.10.1 or 192.168.10.1.
Update your result here.
Options
2017-11-03 18:58:48

TP-Admin wrote

Hi Michael,
We didn't receive other feedback of the similar issue, so we need to confirm more information.
Can you please first check the firmware version of the deco is the latest one 170820.
And If your router's Lan IP address is 192.168.0.1 , please change the address to 10.10.10.1 or 192.168.10.1.
Update your result here.

The Deco is on the latest firmware version, 1.1.5 Build 20170820 Rel 62483.

My router are currently on 20.x.x.x and I can't change to other subnets as too many other devices are already running a static DHCP reservations on it and the clients are also configured to access those devices, such as my printer and NAS. Why do we need to change the router LAN IP if all the Deco is running is just AP mode?
Options
2017-11-04 10:03:21
I hadn't hear back from you after my last reply about not able to change my router LAN address to what you suggested, and I don't see the reply posted here too. Please advise.
Options
2017-11-04 10:16:53
I am resending my original reply again here... Basically I have the exact same firmware of 20170820 as kriston also posted, and I can't change the router LAN IP address subnet as I have too many other devices already configured to have static DHCP reservation addresses assigned by the router and others clients are already configured to reach them, e.g. The NAS and printers. I just need the Deco to be an simple AP and I don't understand why there is a need to change my existing devices to match this.
Options
2017-11-04 11:07:10

TP-Admin wrote

Hi Kriston,
Can you check what's the IP address of your main router?
If it is 192.168.0.1, please change the router's IP address to 10.10.10.1 or 192.168.10.1.
Please also provide us the model number of router?

Besides, did you restart the deco every few hours or the deco restart itself?

Hi,
I updated the IP of the main router, and now it works! It's been more than 24 hours and the 2 deco points have been in Access Point mode and stable. I've yet to get the third one integrated too, but I'm feeling much more positive! May I suggest that you update the Access Point FAQ with this piece of advice?

Thank you for your help!
Options
2017-11-04 11:59:57
Thanks Kriston for the update and glad that it works for you, but the problem is some of us could have many other devices that are already pre-assigned with an IP address and the clients are configured to reach it. Changing the router to the 192.168.10.x or 10.10.10.x subnet will mean the router DHCP address will need to be re-assign and all other clients will also need to change. E.g. if my printer was configured on 20.20.20.8 but now being allocated 192.168.0.100 using the Deco, and a LAN client is on 20.20.20.100, it will now never able to reach the printer unless the LAN client is also on the same subnet of 192.168.0.x or 192.168.10.x or 10.10.10.x as suggested by TP-Link. This is not a trivial task to change 20+ LAN clients.

kriston wrote

Hi,
I updated the IP of the main router, and now it works! It's been more than 24 hours and the 2 deco points have been in Access Point mode and stable. I've yet to get the third one integrated too, but I'm feeling much more positive! May I suggest that you update the Access Point FAQ with this piece of advice?

Thank you for your help!
Options
2017-11-06 10:44:04
Hi Michael,
For your case, no need to change the Lan IP address of your router. It's not conflict with deco's IP address.
Can you please provide us the information below?
1. How many deco do you have? How about your network topology? Are all the deco connected to the router directly?
Does the issue happen on all the deco?
2. What's IP address are assigned to deco in your router's DHCP list?
3. When the deco disconnect, is any other device still connected the router's internet and able to login to the router's management page?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 4349

Replies: 26