Problems using Access Point mode with more than 1 Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Problems using Access Point mode with more than 1 Deco M5

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
26 Reply
Re:Problems using Access Point mode with more than 1 Deco M5
2017-11-20 09:16:33
Hi Tumphu,

The latest firmware of Deco is 20171103, so try update your Deco, and see if the problem still exists. And Deco is using WPA/WPA2 by default.

Tumphu wrote

I've got some problems with Deco's too, but slightly different ones...

At the moment im using 2 Deco's. AP mode, wireless RE connection (no backhaul cable possibility). 3rd not yet connected, but soon it will be too.
1st Deco is main, 2nd is RE with and client role (one home automation device connected to ethernet port).

1.1.5 Build, 20170820 Rel. 62483.
WiFi password is enabled, and i think thats whats making the problem.
Router is Telewell TW-EA501, with an 192.168.1.x network.

When i move from one Deco area to another with my cellphone (Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge 32gb), it keeps loosing connection.
Phone gives me error, something like "Incorrect wifi password/credentials" (Todennusvirhe as in Finnish).
When I turn wifi off and on. It connects without errors and everything works (until i move again).

I assume the reason this is happening, is that my device has problems/slow connecting and negotiating with wifi credentials,
as this problems doesnt exist when wifi is open / insecure.

Haven't tested yet with an another device, like with my laptop, but eventually there is no matter if laptop works,
as the main reason i bought this was for cellphone WiFi coverage (as its the device that moves from deco to anohter).
Computer/laptop/TV/Game console is usually turned on at the location where i use it, so it connects and works fine.

I hope some day there will be "Use Deco app as advanced user" button where user can define wifi passwords, static IP address and stuff like that.
It might help more advanced users to find solutions for problems like I have.
Options
2017-11-21 02:58:07

uutommi wrote

Hi Tumphu,

The latest firmware of Deco is 20171103, so try update your Deco, and see if the problem still exists. And Deco is using WPA/WPA2 by default.

I just installed these yesterday and updated the latest firmware, but it seems that it wont allow skipping versions (i think) because it didnt install the newest one.

After your post, i checked and there were this 20171103 available like you said. Now its installed and I'll test it during next day, i'll let you guys know how it ends.
Options
2017-11-21 03:44:28
Well... That was quick test, update didnt help. Same error...

I need to test it with my laptop tomorrow, move with continuous PING or skype call,
maybe add 3rd node for better coverage and to be sure that it disconnects from 1st and 2nd node.
Options
2017-11-21 15:20:07
Hi Tumphu,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue.

If you don't mind, can you please update your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and test again? If still have the issue, please tell us the version of your phone's system.

If it's possible, please help to test with other devices, like your laptops, tablets and different cellphones.

Thanks in advance!

Tumphu wrote

Well... That was quick test, update didnt help. Same error...

I need to test it with my laptop tomorrow, move with continuous PING or skype call,
maybe add 3rd node for better coverage and to be sure that it disconnects from 1st and 2nd node.
Options
2017-11-22 03:36:45

TP-Admin wrote

Hi Tumphu,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue.

If you don't mind, can you please update your Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge and test again? If still have the issue, please tell us the version of your phone's system.

If it's possible, please help to test with other devices, like your laptops, tablets and different cellphones.

Thanks in advance!

I've now tested my wifi with 2 laptops (HP Mini 110-1103so and Fujitsu LB E751).
Both seemed to work fine and wlan coverage was awesome. With 2 nodes, i was able to get connection about 60m from my house.
Signal went through one or two walls, so in my opinion signal strength was pretty good.

As an test, i run ping to www.google.com, played internet radio and used streaming service to play video all the time.
Couple pings dropped once in a while when walking around my yard, but video or music didnt lag at all.

What comes to my mobile, my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge has newest updates,
Model: SM-G925F
Android 7.0

Other info from phone
G925FXXU5EQJ2

Core version: 3.10.61-10958180
dpi@SWDD6809 #1
Fri Oct 13 15:40:20 KTS 2017

Supports both ipv4 and ipv6.

I gotta say, im going to change my phone soon and seen others having same problems with samsung devices. So this might not be major bug, but good to know i think.

It clearly has something to do with security, as this problem is only when wlan is secured
Options
Try Static IP addresses
2018-03-07 02:44:31
I'm running my Deco M5 in AP mode connected to a FIOS Quantum Gateway router. I've experienced similar issues with the Deco's working fine for a while but more recently they keep disconnecting, blinking red, including the unit that is hardwire connected to the FIOS router after about a day after a reset. I contacted TP-Link customer support and they offered a solution that seems to be working. They suggested I assign static IP addresses to the three Deco units (instead of relying on DHCP to assign IP addresses). I did went into the FIOS router three days ago, changing the Deco pucks from dynamic IP to static IP and haven't had another disconnection issue every since.
Options