1 unit disconnecting once every 1-2 weeks

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-12 02:33:36
- Firmware Version : 1.1.5
- Working mode: Router

One of the units is blinking red every 1-2 weeks.
Only a reboot helps in that situation.

My setup:
- Modem -> main unit (ethernet). To prevent issues i gave the main unit static IP address.
- Main unit -> Satellite 1 with ethernet
- Main unit -> Satellite 2 with wifi

The unit that has the issue is "Satellite 2", so the one that is connected with WiFi.
The unit is only 4 meters away (no walls in between, direct sight) from the main unit and the WiFi signal seems strong enoug (checked signal on mobile phone / ipad etc)

Tried so far:
- Reset all units
- Try different locations

Questions:

1)
Any suggestions on how to get satellite 2 more stable ?

2)
Why is there no "auto restore" feature when there is a issue with one of the units ?

3)
What mechanism decides a unit is offline? Is each unit pinging internet with a certain interval ? Or is the only criterium that a "satellite" can connect to the main unit ?
It seems that when there is an issue with the Isp this can also cause issues in the mesh network (as also suggested in this post.)
To my opinion Isp connection issues should not have impact on the local wifi network
I have the idea that this could also be the cause of the issues.
Options
9 Reply
Re:1 unit disconnecting once every 1-2 weeks
2017-11-12 03:58:09
i am having the same issue. Primary internet modem connected unit is fine. Secondary/satellite 2 unit (closest to Primary and on same floor) disconnects every 1-2 weeks. My third unit(, satellite3 which is furthest away and downstairs) runs great.
Both secondary units are connected via wifi. I have the same questions as janoost
"Any suggestions on how to get satellite 2 more stable ?
- Why is there no "auto restore" feature when there is a issue with one of the units ?"
Options
2017-11-13 15:48:20
Hi janoost,
When the "Satellite 2" is offline, do you have internet access with the other two Decos? You can have a try to switch the location of Satellite 1 and Satellite 2, and setup as below, then see if the issue still exists.
- Main unit -> Satellite 2 with ethernet
- Main unit -> Satellite 1 with wifi
Options
2017-11-14 02:17:42
@flying snow: the same unit went down again today, rest of the network (the other 2 units) still worked correct (and indeed internet access on the other units).

Good suggestion about switching the s atellites, did that a minute ago i will report back how that goes!
Options
2017-11-14 05:35:19
It went down again already, interestingly enough again the unit that is connected with WiFi went down. So: the same location went down, with a different unit.

To rule out that the location of the unit that is connected with WiFi is bad, i changed it to a different location, only 3m away of the main unit, same room, no obstructions.

Hope I can find the cause.

Other possible causes:
- USB adapter ?
- Issues with the main unit caused by the fact it also delivers the ethernet backhaul ? (so: 1 "satellite on wifi" and 1 "satellite on ethernet" causes issues)
- Maybe even too close to the main unit?

Any other ideas? Maybe wifi interference or something? Or crashing of the software ?
Options
2017-11-14 14:34:13
How about connect both Satellite to the main unit with Ethernet cable?
Options
2017-11-14 16:53:45
@Anton: The satellite is on a location where that would be very difficult and a lot of work, one of the main reasons for buying the deco m5 is that backhaul on ethernet / wifi should be possible
Options
2017-11-15 16:29:11
Hi janoost,

How about the connection after you change the location of the Satellite 2? Can you send a photo here to show the locations of the 3 Decos?

janoost wrote

It went down again already, interestingly enough again the unit that is connected with WiFi went down. So: the same location went down, with a different unit.

To rule out that the location of the unit that is connected with WiFi is bad, i changed it to a different location, only 3m away of the main unit, same room, no obstructions.

Hope I can find the cause.

Other possible causes:
- USB adapter ?
- Issues with the main unit caused by the fact it also delivers the ethernet backhaul ? (so: 1 "satellite on wifi" and 1 "satellite on ethernet" causes issues)
- Maybe even too close to the main unit?

Any other ideas? Maybe wifi interference or something? Or crashing of the software ?
Options
2017-11-17 05:00:15

See the situation above (old location and new location).

So far the connection did not drop on the new location.
But, on the old location uptime could also be 2 weeks. So I will update when the satellite disconnects again or after 2 weeks.
Options
2017-11-20 15:52:45
Hmm...I don't think the old location is a good one, it's too high, new location should be fine.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 849

Replies: 9

Related Articles