Parental Control daily time limit reached but Deco app still showing device connectivity?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Parental Control daily time limit reached but Deco app still showing device connectivity?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-19 04:08:41
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

My son reached a daily time limit today but both his devices are still showing upload and download traffic in the connected Devices. This may be stating the obvious but shouldn't these now be zero? Does this mean the parental controls are not working or is it normal that there is still some 'background' connectivity?
Options
7 Reply
Re:Parental Control daily time limit reached but Deco app still showing device connectivity?
2017-11-20 10:41:05
Was he able to open websites after he reached the time limit?

Please note that the Time Limit counts the time when the device has data flow, if the phone is connected but no in use, that time will not be included.
Options
Re:Parental Control daily time limit reached but Deco app still showing device connectivity?
2017-11-20 13:50:14
Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately my son is unlikely to tell me if he's still getting internet access beyond when it should stop... this is the kid who figured out that using a power line adaptor with the previous virgin media router would mask his mac address and enable him to bypass the mac filtering rules. It's just a matter of time before he figures out VPN! The time limit was set for 8 hours on Saturday yet when the app showed that the time limit had been reached, both his devices were still showing upload and download flow.

This really puzzled me to the extent that I set up a test user under the parental settings and added my iPad... the internet was definitely blocked when the 30 min time limit was reached but some data flow still showed... so I guess the app is working as it should, just not sure why data flow was still showing as flowing? On my son's devices it was considerable data too - up to 47mbps, not just a trickle.
Options
2017-11-20 18:38:32
Hmm..? Your son is not connected to the Deco? He is connected to a powerline adaptor? What's the network map?

So you tested with your iPad, the APP still showed the data flow when the iPad was blocked by the Time Limit? What was that speed?

Cloudsurfer wrote

Thanks for the reply,

Unfortunately my son is unlikely to tell me if he's still getting internet access beyond when it should stop... this is the kid who figured out that using a power line adaptor with the previous virgin media router would mask his mac address and enable him to bypass the mac filtering rules. It's just a matter of time before he figures out VPN! The time limit was set for 8 hours on Saturday yet when the app showed that the time limit had been reached, both his devices were still showing upload and download flow.

This really puzzled me to the extent that I set up a test user under the parental settings and added my iPad... the internet was definitely blocked when the 30 min time limit was reached but some data flow still showed... so I guess the app is working as it should, just not sure why data flow was still showing as flowing? On my son's devices it was considerable data too - up to 47mbps, not just a trickle.
Options
2017-11-20 18:47:20
If you click on the Pause button for your son's profile in the Parental Control, will you still see the data flow of your son's device? Make sure you are not looking the wrong device.

Cloudsurfer wrote

Thanks for the reply,

Options
2017-11-20 22:58:04
No the power line adapter was with the old router due to the poor wifi coverage.

My deco connection is now Virgin Media router in modem mode - > Deco unit - > the other two Decos by wifi link.

The network is pure wifi now to hopefully enable me to completely control all devices connected to my internet! I have also identified all devices belonging to family members by IP address and have named them so I was sure I was looking at his iPhone and laptop, both of which were still showing data flow after the time limit. I also checked his history and cannot see any VPN sites... yet!

Like I say I tested the system myself with my iPad and it seems to be blocking like it should so leaves me puzzled as to why data flow was showing?
Options
2017-11-21 15:28:34
Hi Cloudsurfer,

The data flow is normal, that's the data between the Deco and the client devices, and Deco will not forward that to internet.

Cloudsurfer wrote

No the power line adapter was with the old router due to the poor wifi coverage.

My deco connection is now Virgin Media router in modem mode - > Deco unit - > the other two Decos by wifi link.

The network is pure wifi now to hopefully enable me to completely control all devices connected to my internet! I have also identified all devices belonging to family members by IP address and have named them so I was sure I was looking at his iPhone and laptop, both of which were still showing data flow after the time limit. I also checked his history and cannot see any VPN sites... yet!

Like I say I tested the system myself with my iPad and it seems to be blocking like it should so leaves me puzzled as to why data flow was showing?
Options
2017-11-22 12:13:54
Ok great that's a relief, and thanks for the clarification!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2050

Replies: 7