Parental Settings need a custom by day setting

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-11-19 14:52:05
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

I'm very impressed with the Deco system so far in terms of ease of setup and user friendly app, as well as the wifi coverage. However I primarily bought it to manage my 15 year old son's internet use as he will happily sit on the internet all night!

I would much prefer the option to set his access by day of the week rather than the broad categories of Mon-Fri and Sat & Sun, as kids these days have many different commitments at the weekends as well as during the week. My eldest for instance is in the last two years of high school and so some days starts school later, others at regular time, a bit like at university with a variable lecture schedule. It would be great to be able to allow him internet access later on evenings before a late start the following day and move bedtime earlier the night before an early start. The same applies if either of them have an important sports fixture at the weekend.

I was also wondering whether the 'school nights' and 'weekend' bedtime setting actually recognises that school nights are Sun-Thurs and weekends are Fri & Sat?
Options
6 Reply
Re:Parental Settings need a custom by day setting
2017-11-20 02:14:08
I also bought it primarily to manage my 13 years old son's internet usage... And guess what... Within days he found ways to bypass the parental control just by using VPN apps. The only way to block his internet usage seems to be to put (temporary) his devices on the black list.
So yes it would be great if this access control can be set per day, but first the basic parental control functionality needs to be fixed.
Options
2017-11-20 10:12:42
What VPN apps does he use? Deco can block some VPN apps.

hansremmerswaal wrote

I also bought it primarily to manage my 13 years old son's internet usage... And guess what... Within days he found ways to bypass the parental control just by using VPN apps. The only way to block his internet usage seems to be to put (temporary) his devices on the black list.
So yes it would be great if this access control can be set per day, but first the basic parental control functionality needs to be fixed.
Options
2017-11-20 14:05:04
Sadly I suspect my son will also be trying VPN shortly... how do you blanket block vpn apps & websites?

Also can verify whether under the bedtime settings the system actually recognises that school nights are Sun-Thurs and weekend nights are Fri & Sat?
Options
2017-11-20 18:53:45
On the Filter lever page, choose APPs/Websites, and enter VPN, then you will see the VPN apps can be blocked in the database.

Yes, school nights are Sun-Thurs and weekend nights are Fri & Sat.

Cloudsurfer wrote

Sadly I suspect my son will also be trying VPN shortly... how do you blanket block vpn apps & websites?

Also can verify whether under the bedtime settings the system actually recognises that school nights are Sun-Thurs and weekend nights are Fri & Sat?
Options
2017-11-20 23:10:43
Great thanks for that confirmation of school nights and I've also added the three offered VPN apps to the blocked website list...

Hoping to see an option to set daily wifi use and bedtime coming to the app soon!
Options
2017-11-24 15:39:59

uutommi wrote

What VPN apps does he use? Deco can block some VPN apps.

My son is using on his iPhone the VPN Master app. With that he can completely bypass the parental controls. Even if I put the WiFi for his profile on "pause" he just continues. Only if I put his iPhone on the blacklist the WiFi is disabled.
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 882

Replies: 6

Related Articles