[FEATURE REQUEST] Ability to use Wireless Backhaul in Access Point mode with Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

[FEATURE REQUEST] Ability to use Wireless Backhaul in Access Point mode with Deco M5?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
17 Reply
Re:[FEATURE REQUEST] Ability to use Wireless Backhaul in Access Point mode with Deco M5?
2017-12-11 21:36:57

hansremmerswaal wrote

I could be wrong, but the diagram on http://www.tp-link.com/en/faq-1842.html does show that the AP talk with each other via WiFi Backhaul. And not only with the first one.

That looks like new diagram om the FAQ. The FAQ used to only contain a picture of a (wired) Ethernet Backhaul and not any pictures of a WiFi Backhail. My guess is that they have updated the FAQ with that new picture?
Options
Re:[FEATURE REQUEST] Ability to use Wireless Backhaul in Access Point mode with Deco M5?
2017-12-12 08:29:14

Gamester17 wrote

That looks like new diagram om the FAQ. The FAQ used to only contain a picture of a (wired) Ethernet Backhaul and not any pictures of a WiFi Backhail. My guess is that they have updated the FAQ with that new picture?

You might be right. Depends on when you last looked, I guess. I've only ever seen both diagrams.

By the way, I've always assumed that by "wifi backhaul" you simply mean wireless connectivity. Is that right? Or are you asking if the Deco system includes a dedicated Wifi backhaul channel (which would offer better speeds across a mesh network, but is not actually offered by Deco)?
Options
2018-01-23 22:52:47
Question for you guys.
Setting up the Deco's as APs only, what Wireless Settings do you have?
Do they still do ART to balance the network?
Only 1 SSID?
I have a fully wired backhaul and i want to use my current router (TPLink AC1200) as the default GW, but using the DECOs to manage my Wifi.
Options
2018-01-24 20:02:04

h1berto wrote

I have a fully wired backhaul and...
Sorry but this thread topic is specifically about "wireless backhaul", not "wired backhaul" like you have, so you are off-topic. Please instead note that there is already a other (sticky) thread that is specifically about "wired backhail (Ethernet backhaul)" like you have => http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?98898-How-to-set-up-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Deco-M5

No offence meant but there is no need to high-jack this thread with subject "wireless backhaul" to talk about "wired backhail (Ethernet backhaul)" which is the opposite subject.
Options
2018-01-25 09:45:54

Gamester17 wrote

Sorry but this thread topic is specifically about "wireless backhaul", not "wired backhaul"

As I mentioned above, using the term "wireless backhaul" is a little misleading. I don't believe the Deco uses a dedicated backhaul channel, but simply connects to other units using the regular channels (so, "fronthaul"?).

As for h1berto's question, I think it does relate to this topic, as he is asking if ART is still used even in AP mode. (I believe the answer is "yes", by the way.) His other questions may be off topic, but we can still help him out: Using AP mode should only give one SSID, and the Decos will only serve as repeaters (so all management of wifi should still be handled by the current router).
Options
2022-02-01 17:36:10

@Gamester17 did you by any chance manage to configure the m5 decos in AP in a mesh network ? this meaning all decos are connected straight via ethernet backhaul to a switch and not over WIFI Backhaul?

Options
2022-02-01 17:55:19
ok i found out the issue, the issue is coming from the modem which does not support IEEE 1905 therefore decos are unable to communicate with one another. This is a drawback on the deco series which should be taken care of from TP-links perspective easily via firmware update.
Options
Related Articles