Archer C1200 v1.0 Slow DNS Resolve / Lookup Times

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2017-12-02 21:21:19
Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP :

The Archer C1200 v1.0 I am currently using at home came packaged from the Malaysia's ISP (TM Unifi) and currently using the latest firmware available in 'Malaysia' region.

Firmware Version: 1.0.0 Build 20170905 rel.41738 (EU)
Hardware Version: Archer C1200 v1.0

http://www.tp-link.com.my/download/Archer-C1200_V1.html#Firmware

There is no issue on throughput/internet speedtest. I can get 30Mbps download and 10Mbps upload using both wired and wireless. Every devices getting IP addresses using DHCP server configured in the router.

There is Slow DNS Resolve / Lookup Times when browsing on any websites using any browsers and devices.

What I have noticed: (Using www.google.com as an example on Google Chrome browser)

- When browsing, I see 'Resolving host...' for around 5 seconds, before I see 'Connecting...' (For maybe 2 more seconds) and then some other dns lookup in the background (also with 'Resolving host...'), while the page renders successfully.

- I have factory reset the settings but the issue persist.

- I try replace other brand of router, and this issue doesn't happen using that router.

- When i manually configured my laptop to use static ip address instead of using DHCP, the issue doesn't occurred. All pages load faster. (using same dns as in dhcp)

- I find out that that the root cause of this issue is related to IPv6 DNS lookup issue. Although i have disable IPv6 feature in the router but seems that every device still trying to resolve DNS using IPv6 address first and when the lookup failed, it will revert by using IPv4 dns address. This cause delay in resolving dns queries.
I suspect there is something wrong with the DHCP in the router. Maybe firmware bugs?

My IP receive from TP-LINK router DHCP server:

Wireshark Packet Capture (see the IPv6 dns error 'Destination Unreachable (no route to destination)')
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6523[/ATTACH]
IPv6 dns resolve is the culprit for the 'delay issue' whenever try to resolve any dns queries.

IPv6 feature already disabled, but somehow the DHCP server still assigning IPv6 dns address.

I found a temporary fixed:

- I turn on (enable) the IPv6 feature in the router, then disable (turn off) and save the config. I then disable and enable my laptop wireless adapter. The laptop will get ip address again from the DHCP server without IPv6 address and then this fixed the issue.

But somehow, i noticed the issue will occurred again if i turn off and on back the router.

Really hope a firmware update could fix this.

Thank You.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1493

Replies: 0

Related Articles